Answer this ?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tough pick

• Dolmar 5100s

Votes: 36 34.0%
  • Husky 346xp

Votes: 30 28.3%
  • Stihl 260 pro

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • homelite

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters

buster

Reaction score
Im looking for a medium size saw for limbing/blocking. I currently have and love a Do more 7900. Im trying to decide between a 5100s,ms260pro,husky346xp,tough decision. What are the pros and cons of each. Dealer service is not an issue. :dizzy: :chainsaw:

Im looking for a medium size saw for limbing/blocking. I currently have and love a Do more 7900. Im trying to decide between a 5100s,ms260pro,husky346xp,tough decision. What are the pros and cons of each. Dealer service is not an issue. :dizzy: :chainsaw:

Pick one and run. Then post back with what YOU think.

They all have a pretty good rep on this forum. I believe the 260/026 has the longest history for being dependable. The others have been reported as excellent saws.

Good Luck.

If you figure on ever looking for used parts you know the 260 is going to be the easiest one by far to find them for. I like the inboard clutch too. Stock the 5100 is a bit ahead of it on performance. You already have a big saw so that is not that big a concern. The 346 is a bit better air filter system and defintely a revver if you are doing a lot of small limbing. I think you should buy one of each and part out on Ebay the two least favoured ones. That should almost pay for the keeper!

2 Of my friends got the 5100, I have the 6400. If I wasnt putting out 11,500.00 for a CB and set up, I would get a 5100 for the wood pile.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
They just run like the wind.

I bought a 5100 about 10 months ago and it does do anything but run like a stripped tailed ape. I bought mine for 339.00 plus uncle Sam's part. I don't have a 260 or a 346, but I can tell you that you will not be disappointed with a 5100.

I had the pleasure of running a 7900 with a 28" bar yesterday at a Amish Dolmar dealer, he let me at his wood pile out back, to say the least I was pleasantly impressed, surprised and willing to purchase. I have had a good go with the 260 many times and I have always liked that saw and would love to own one sometime when the price is right, but after the experience with the Dolmar I might be shifting sides, and for the price difference of the Stihls, my mind is made.:popcorn:

Hahahaha I have a Solo681 ( about same as 7900 ) and consider that my mid range saw. I think the 5100 and 346 are neck and neck. But 5100 can be had for alot less coin. Something else that is gaining momentum is the Redmax 5000 and it is cheaper yet.

After using both the Stihl 260, and the Dolmar 5100, I'd be happy to spend your money on the 5100.

If you haven't looked at the PS-510, DO... It's comparable to the 260, but will save you some cash at 3.4hp. I have one, LOVE IT, and so does everyone else that touches it... It's aluminum case instead of Magnesium, so it's all metal instead of that cheap crap composite... Had mine for over a year and have not had a single problem. Can't say enough good about this little saw buddy...

:cheers: eh?

If you can find a Dolmar dealer there and get parts, I would say go for the 5100s. If that is an issue, I would get the 260.

I have the Husky 346XP and love it. After i bought it i was debating if i should have gotten the heated handels.

I have a 260 pro and a 5100. The 5100 is a lot faster in the cut---way more torque. But the 260 feels lighter and handles better IMO. either one will make you happy. never ran a husky and don't plan on it , so no opinion

Probably true.

I have a 260 pro and a 5100. The 5100 is a lot faster in the cut---way more torque. But the 260 feels lighter and handles better IMO. either one will make you happy. never ran a husky and don't plan on it , so no opinion

But - if you want the Speed and the Handling the NE346XP is the way to go.

Al :clap: :clap:

Handling?

Handling??? What? Is this a car race??? lmao... How does a saw handle poorly? Vibration dampening etc.. I believe FEEL would be a better term... hehehehehehe

:cheers: eh?

Latest posts

Back