Answering the age old question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can a '76 Jotul 118 fit into the trunk of a '09 Fusion?
JotulInTheTrunk.JPG

Yes, yes it can.

Isn't an EPA stove, but it should be a big upgrade from the Vogelzang Boxwood stove I've been using for the better part of a decade. Hoping it will cut my wood usage in half, which will let me get ahead and build up a really good supply of well seasoned wood, and maybe in a couple years I'll splurge on a new(er) F118 CB that's EPA plus a romantic glass door :)

Wonder if I'm the first person to post a pic of a wood stove in the trunk of a car (that you could still close theh lid of) on AS?

Wonder if I'm the first person to post a pic of a wood stove in the trunk of a car (that you could still close theh lid of) on AS?[/QUOTE]

Bet you are. Very cool!!

Nice stove,

Kinda reminiscent of the one sitting in the basement, color and everything, if you recall. That stove will throw a ton of heat. They're very easy to rebuild, you can get a complete gasket kit down in Preston if you need to go that route.

One question, did it come with the metric to 6 inch stove pipe adapter? If not, you'll need one, (unless you're already running metric pipe) those can be had down in Preston as well.

I love that it takes 2 ft long wood, I'll never go back. No 2 am surprises, if it fits on the splitter it will fit in the stove.

Haven't had any updates for awhile, how's the diet and pile of treelength coming along?

Take Care

Haven't had any updates for awhile, how's the diet and pile of treelength coming along?

I'm figuring I'm on pace to drop below 350 in about three weeks -- something I haven't seen in 10+ years, and somewhere around 75 pounds less than my peak. I used to figure I could sustain comfortably 5# every six weeks spring through fall (when not hobbled by things like my Achilles), but that is picking up now that I can work / exercise more steadily as the weight drops and my overall health improves.

I sprung my Achilles at the very end of April, not bad, but it did limit how long I could be on my feet until the middle of August. It still lets me know it's unhappy sometimes, but I can work all day on it now without pain or burning inflammation.

Just finished splitting up 2/3rds of a cord of the logs I had bucked up this past spring into "cookwood' size pieces. I have about 1-1/2 to 2 cords of logs left to buck up and split then I can order another load to fill the spot. When I started late August I just picked up the axe and worked straight for an hour without sitting down -- go back 3 years or so I would've gotten half as much done in an hour and been sucking down Advil due to inflammation. Nowdays, I just don't get inflammation unless I go off my home cooking and back to take-out food for a week.

Now that the cool weather is here to stay, and everyone is back from vacation so I'm not putting in OT at work I'll be able to work steadily on the wood again.

And it got into the house.

JotulAtHome.JPG

I think I got the Boxwood in 2006, so that would make seven seasons with a $200 stove which I can probably sell for $100 on CL since they go for $300 new now.

I'll have to go pickup pipes on Saturday -- I bet it's metric as a quick check in poor light it looked a bit bigger than 4.5".

That new one looks much better!

One I had in maine looked like your first one, and I wish I had a trunk then! All I had was my schwinn...I lived up the mountain from the farmhouse where I got it, think it was free or ten bucks or something cheap. I *backpacked* that badboy up the mountain through the woods. Dang heaviest load I ever toted. Two of us set it on a bench, I attached my packframe to it, backed into the straps and started walking. Had to sit down carefully and then wiggle out, but made it right into the cabin.

My mom had a Jotul like that. It wasnt big enough for her drafty old house. I aquired a large soapstone Hearthstone for her. The Jotul was a tinkertoy compared to that soapstone! Yikes that was heavy.:cry:

I shot a deer at dusk one year. When I let him bleed out for a few minutes a storm blew in. By the time I got down out of the tree, it was rainin' sideways. I found my arrow then I almost stepped on the deer which startled him to his feet and with me hanging on his tail, we both slid about 150 yards in the dark down a ravine almost into the Mississippi. I got up he died. I'd lost my flashlight in the slide and went home. I went back to get him the next morning. 150 yards up the hill and then another 300 across a corn field not dragging, carrying buck. He almost got the last laugh. I think I'd rather backpack a jotul 1/4 mile across Maine if I had to do it over.

I'll have to go pickup pipes on Saturday -- I bet it's metric as a quick check in poor light it looked a bit bigger than 4.5".

Yup

You'll definitely need one of these.

upload_2014-9-18_20-7-19.jpeg

Jotul calls it a "Flue Adapter", and when I was looking for one the only places that had them were Jotul dealers, so I'm assuming it's a dealer only proprietary part.

Take Care

Thought it was real easy to lift...

Today's F118 CB weighs in at 340#

Reading the book that came with my stove, the 118 weighs in at 231# (and we had taken off about 40# of removable parts before lifting).

Other book tidbits:

Volume recommended to be heated: 7060 s.f. (My 650 s.f. x 8' is 5200)

Peak efficiency: 3.1 pounds of wood @ 20% moisture per hour produces 22,500BTUs/hour at 76% efficiency

Peak heat: 44,500 BTUs/hour from 11lbs/hr at 54.8% efficiency

The oil v. wood break even point ranges from 30 cents per gallon and $45 per cord up to 50 cents per gallon and $75 per cord. There seems to have been a lot more inflation in heating oil than wood since then.

The stove was designed by Blakstad-Munthe-Kaas in 1940; the ornamental bas-relief by Ornulf Bast.

If you have an outhouse, hang an old toilet seat behind the woodstove and take it with you.

And it got into the house.

JotulAtHome.JPG

I think I got the Boxwood in 2006, so that would make seven seasons with a $200 stove which I can probably sell for $100 on CL since they go for $300 new now.

5"

IMG_1048.JPG

What SwampYankee didn't warn me about is that 4-3/4" x 6" adapter runs $48!

Tonight it's only dropping down into the upper 50s, so no sense firing her up. I was being stubborn as get out resisting firing up the old one...so the house was in the upper 40s when I woke up this morning.

After running errands in Scotland, Preston, Griswold, Plainfield, Brooklyn, and Pomfret I finally ended up at Celebrating Agriculture in Woodstock, where there is a tiny Forestry Fair held along with it. (That event descends from a Forestry Fair originally put on by the Eastern Connecticut Forest Landowners Ass'n, and I remember going to the first one with my dad who died in '88). Did pickup a Logrite hookaroon from the owner of the company.

Stihl PPE kit-in-a-bag (chaps & helmet) on a rescue truck. Didn't used to see that, then you started seeing it with the state forest guys, to forestry trucks, now to the big trucks.
IMG_1022.JPG

This tree started growing when my dad was 2.
IMG_1023.JPG

Without the following pictures, saying I spent an hour watching men play with their wood and compare it to each other would give the wrong impression.
IMG_1029.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG

Biggest farmer in the county (state probably) is putting up another cow shed. This is his main farm, he put up a heifer barn in Pomfret that size about five years ago too.
IMG_1047.JPG

that's a really nice stove....it will heat a lot better that your other one. Don't let it get to full of coals/ash or you can burn through the top baffle with good hard wood with a hot fire.
Had one in the 70's. It will throw all kinds of heat with 4-5" dead oak! Also I'd use the side outlet! Burns better!

And the first fire...
IMG_1052.JPG

Just taking the chill out, house was 55 when I got home...been 40s by night, 70s by day here.

Definitely notice the difference -- got the side and top hot to the touch, but I could hug the stove pipe still, whereas the old one would have gotten the pipe hot as soon if not sooner than the stove.

Latest posts

Back