Anthracnose on White Ash trees revisited.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied to my earlier post about my white ash tree that was dropping leaves this spring. Well, the leaf drop has slowed down or ended. The tree's canopy is pretty thin - probably about half as thick as the other trees on the property. When should I expect to start seeing some new growth when the tree starts to re-foliate?

Latest news - plan of action...

I never really got any replies to this post, but I am resurrecting it because I want to get your opinions on what to do next.

The ash tree that dropped its leaves due to anthracnose never really refoliated. It did maintain the remaining leaves, which were about half of its normal canopy. I made an extra effort to water the tree during the dry weather that we experienced in August and September, and I pruned off all of the dead branches that i could reach.

Here is my plan of action:

1. - Remove all of the mulch from around the base of the tree after the rest of the leaves have dropped, and dispose of it. I figure that the fungus has likely been over-wintering in the mulch and dead leaves. I will apply 2 - 3" of new hardwood mulch in its place.

2. - Apply fungicide to the trunk and branches this spring, before it leafs out.

Would it be beneficial to apply any kind of fertilizer this fall to help the root system? If so, what type of fertilizer would you recommend?

What do you all think? Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Additional suggestions/comments are welcome.

Thanks for the help!

The fungicide applications needs to be done shortly after leaf out. The fungus overwinters on the bark and deadwood in the tree. Rain is the biggest vector to new leaves.

The temp range where it effctas leaves is about 10 degerrs, like 55-65 or something like that. been a while sisne aai read up on it. So you need to time the applications for how long the product applied lasts and how the weather is doing. If you ahve consistand days above the range you don't need to apply any more product.

Whwn I was doing this 2 apps of a mix of Cleary's and BannerMax 4 weeka appart was good enough.

Remember to read the lable, for it is the law.

Back