Any experience with pre-mixed refractory cement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Last year I patched the stove "floor" with Rutland pre-mixed refractory cement, and as you guys probably do I keep a layer of ash down all season. When I cleaned the stove out a few weeks ago, I noticed that where I had patched had broken loose again-I mean it was gone! So I patched it last week, let it dry 48 hours, and broke it in with 2 small fires. When I looked at it, there was an area that got hard but raised up like a cake in an oven, and another area that was intact but very soft and "flaky", so I called Rutland and asked them about it, and they asked "did you put it on in 1/8 " increments"? and I said no because it didn't SAY anything about doing that on the container, just clean the area of debris, lightly dampen the area and let it dry at least 24 hours before breaking in with a small fire. So after this brief "cold spell" that we are having here in PA. is over, I'll crack away all that is loose and redo it in "layers" and let it dry. I just wish that it would've said to do that on the stupid container...any other "helpful hints" would be appreciated-thanks!

ive used it i n the past ,heres a helpful hint :throw it in the garbage cause the stuff is crap.. it cant handle heat

Put some welded wire in between layers. Factory furnaces have studs welded in to give the cement something to hold onto. The wire should give the same effect.

Another problem you have is it takes concrete up to 30 days to fully cure depending on how thick you are pouring it. Two day old concrete is very weak and definitely fail with a fire on it. How thick is your patch?

Another problem you have is it takes concrete up to 30 days to fully cure depending on how thick you are pouring it. Two day old concrete is very weak and definitely fail with a fire on it. How thick is your patch?

It's less than 1/2 inch in most spots. It says on the container to let it dry at least 24 hours, then cure with a small fire. Perhaps what the post above yours says will help if I put some wire down. Or at the very least, put two 1/8" layers on.

Thanks guys...

Back