Any idea what is going on with this oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foreland22

Reaction score
Trunk was split in the past but there is growth at the bottom. I’m wondering if this tree is doomed.

My buddy is new owner. No idea if the split came from lightning or how long ago.

It’s close to the house and garage and neighbors garage so I’m wondering if it needs to come down.

Attachments

• 72721770316__B53D2C34-A87E-4953-A94F-0F6539FB4C82.MOV
    2.9 MB
I cannot recognize any specific features from the video, but I would agree that the tree is severely compromised.

Any kind of fungal growth from the base of a tree is bad, regardless of the species. Bark falling off any tree is also very bad, particularly when it involves the trunk and lower part of the tree.

Unless that tree is beloved and not near anything expensive to replace, you should budget for a total removal. If you have no risk involved with the parts that will be breaking off and falling, then just watch it progress into a rubble pile of broken branches.

Just remember: the tree services charge more to remove a deathly dangerous tree than they do to take out one that is dying but still intact. If you are doing it yourself, then your risk is also significantly higher.

I removed a pine tree once that was so fragile that I wouldn't go near the tree without my loader bucket over my head to protect me from falling branches. The customer will always pay for that extra effort and risk.

Back