Any ideas about what to say...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohiowoodguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
to the huge number of people who call the evening before a predicted blizzard asking to get firewood NOW, because they "just put their last piece in"? I can understand a few idiots not planning ahead, but nearly half my calls lately have followed the previous storyline. I'm delivering dawn to dusk, and have been a week behind since November. I'm not complaining about business being good; but I wish I could say something to these 'tards (please don't flame me) other than "sorry", that would deliver a "plan ahead" message, without being insulting.:buttkick:

to the huge number of people who call the evening before a predicted blizzard asking to get firewood NOW, because they "just put their last piece in"? I can understand a few idiots not planning ahead, but nearly half my calls lately have followed the previous storyline. I'm delivering dawn to dusk, and have been a week behind since November. I'm not complaining about business being good; but I wish I could say something to these 'tards (please don't flame me) other than "sorry", that would deliver a "plan ahead" message, without being insulting.:buttkick:

Charge a fee for expedited delivery. Let their sense of economics help them remember to give the wood guy a call a week or two out...:msp_biggrin:

Not perfect, but try this

During the fall delivery if I delivered 3 cord last year total, and they only ordered 2 then I remind them of that fact. Sometimes it jars another order a month later when they have the cash, or a comment like "I did, can you bring another?" but just as often they don't.

Next year I will remind them about the 3 feet of snow we got and how when they couldn't get to their woodpile and called for a delivery I had / still have the same 3 feet of snow and can't get to any of my piles let alone get into a landing.

Take Care

this is getting funny! i just sat down here to read this thread when the phone rings?? ok " hi ,im calling to let you know im just about out of wood! i have enough to last till early tomorrow!! do you sell wood ?? ok .... how much is it ?? 195.00 a cord ... well i need to talk to my husband, i will call you back if we cant find it cheaper!! """"" CHEAPER THEN NO WOOD "wtf" !! make me laugh will yeah....

And to think I used to think having to get a load delivered once inter-season was poor planning the prior year! And even in those situations I still know enough to call atleast a couple weeks ahead.

Upon edit, it did just dawn on me that I have burned a lot more wood this year... so maybe folks running out more is to be expected to a degree.

Last edited:
Sounds like you got great business opportunities.
I wouldn't take advantage of the situation by ripping people off but I'd definitely mark up a little bit for prompt delivery. That way everybody is happy and you will have more business for years to come.

thats the price for heat..

wow... is that the going rate down there?

thats the price for heat to keep yourself warm in these cold southern nights!!! lol the price is for a full cord 4x4x8=128cf.... 1st half is dry red oak followed by a 1/4 cord of popel and the last 1/4 cord is of jack pine... started last fall (oct.) with 125 cords and down to my last 8 to 10 cords left!! so its been flying off the piles an stacks.

right on, sounds like business is going well.
i have never even burnt oak lol.
full cord of ironwood/maple $75 cut split & delivered

adds here say sycamore for $145 a cord.. oak maple ash etc. $195 a cord...delivered and dumped..and some want $195 a cord & u pick up...
its pure economics... fuel is on the rise, why not your wood too? think of the labor costs and expenses you have generating that cord of wood, now factor in the rising cost of fuel (at $4.00 gallon here already for 87 octane) what is your cost for the next cord? lets face it electric heat isn't as cheap anymore nor is propane or natural gas.. why not even factor in surcharges like the big companies? trash co's and even electric co's have destination charges and fees...you might be able to stretch it to $295 a cord with all fees included...why not? maybe the guy buying from you is the same son of a beach that has just raised your electric bill from his accounting office..i still dont understand why people are still wanting to work so hard for $75.00 a cord,lets face it every thing else is going up in price... what was the cost of your last saw? how much wear and tare on your truck? how much wood will you be cutting when gas gets to $5.50 a gallon? will it cost $125.00 to cut process and deliver the wood plus labor expense? get your head out of the sand and look ahead...then we can look back on this next year and see where you are on price then..lol

:computer:

Last edited:
If I were delivering firewood, and someone called me at the last minute, I would either say, I will load up the wood and be there as soon as I can, or after I deliver the load that I have on the truck now, but can deliver tomorrow. Then they make the choice. You are selling, and they are buying. The buyer is in control. Make every effort to please them. Honestly, the seller is at the mercy of the buyer. This is no more truer than in the case of the firewood seller.

Bob

umm... i dont know lol. i dont sell or buy firewood. i burn about 20 cord a year for the house and garage. most people around here can drive 5 minutes in any direction and stop at a landing and pick up some tops for free. or get a fuelwood permit for $15 and cut all the wood they want. i pay $1.27 a liter for gas and still save money cutting my own wood(i think thats around $5.80 a gallon? not to sure). at $195 a cord i would be paying just under $4000 a winter for heat. oil, propane or even electric heat would be cheaper. well maybe not electric heat. not sure about natural gas cant get it here.

i was just surprised when i saw how much firewood was going for there. i'm not saying it's too much, he obviously has no problem getting rid off it.

supply and demand right

adds here say sycamore for $145 a cord.. oak maple ash etc. $195 a cord...delivered and dumped..and some want $195 a cord & u pick up...
its pure economics... fuel is on the rise, why not your wood too? think of the labor costs and expenses you have generating that cord of wood, now factor in the rising cost of fuel (at $4.00 gallon here already for 87 octane) what is your cost for the next cord? lets face it electric heat isn't as cheap anymore nor is propane or natural gas.. why not even factor in surcharges like the big companies? trash co's and even electric co's have destination charges and fees...you might be able to stretch it to $295 a cord with all fees included...why not? maybe the guy buying from you is the same son of a beach that has just raised your electric bill from his accounting office..i still dont understand why people are still wanting to work so hard for $75.00 a cord,lets face it every thing else is going up in price... what was the cost of your last saw? how much wear and tare on your truck? how much wood will you be cutting when gas gets to $5.50 a gallon? will it cost $125.00 to cut process and deliver the wood plus labor expense? get your head out of the sand and look ahead...then we can look back on this next year and see where you are on price then..lol

:computer:

What part of Ontario are you ?? 75 a cord sounds way too cheap. Cut and split hardwood sells for 300-400 a cord here in Oshawa area.

I think most of you firewood guys are too cheap. The couple times I've had to buy it I was glad you were, but if it were me, $300 a cord minimum would be where I start. And that would be for mix wood.

Let's break it down.

Leave your house and head for the woods. Cut up a truck load. (let's say 1/2 cord)
Drive back home, unload, go back for second load, cut and load, back home.
BEST case I would say would be 4 hours for this.

Split up this cord of wood and stack.
2 hours

After seasoning
Reload this cord and head for your customer. Unload wood and head back home to get second half.
Let's call this 3 hours total.

I'm seeing 9 hours labor at BEST, per cord delivered.
Plus gas (truck, saw, splitter)
Plus a bit for wear and tear on equipment
Plus a bit for profit

Plug in the numbers you want and see where you end up.

You're ahead of me, I usually get the call after the storm hits, snow on the ground, and temps are single digits. It's when the electricity goes out that I get most of my frantic calls. Suddenly the folks who seldom burn see a need for wood in order to stay warm. Its amazing at the number of folks who are not the least amount self sufficient, and never plan for anything.

I've bought good seasoned split hardwood for 120.00 a cord from the local Amish.
Also have seen it that price with others. When I buy wood I can get it around 60.00 a cord in log form. I agree though if I sold it, I would never be that cheap. It's alot of work.

I think most of you firewood guys are too cheap. The couple times I've had to buy it I was glad you were, but if it were me, $300 a cord minimum would be where I start. And that would be for mix wood.

Let's break it down.

Leave your house and head for the woods. Cut up a truck load. (let's say 1/2 cord)
Drive back home, unload, go back for second load, cut and load, back home.
BEST case I would say would be 4 hours for this.

Split up this cord of wood and stack.
2 hours

After seasoning
Reload this cord and head for your customer. Unload wood and head back home to get second half.
Let's call this 3 hours total.

I'm seeing 9 hours labor at BEST, per cord delivered.
Plus gas (truck, saw, splitter)
Plus a bit for wear and tear on equipment
Plus a bit for profit

Plug in the numbers you want and see where you end up.

Well, if I had to do it that way, I wouldnt sell a stick of wood.Nobody could or would afford my price.Here is the way you make money....

Hook the 16ft trailer to the back of the truck, stop by the shop and load saws and support tools.All pre-arranged,boxed up,fuel jugs full,and you are down the road in twenty minutes.Drive for 20 minutes to your wood source.Drive right up to the oak and hickory tops and fire your saw that has a freshly filed chain on it.
Fill the trailer with two cords and out of there in 2hours max.I get pissed if the clock says it took any longer than two hours to fill the trailer.

come back home,and pull the splitter up to the back of the trailer.Call the neighbor's kid while on the way home.He gets out of school at 3,and is slap happy to have a job waiting for him.I pay him $10 a cord to stack.I process a cord an hour if I am humping it.He goes home with $20 in his pocket and happy as a clam.

Winter time comes, I load a cord in the trailer in less than thirty minutes, and spend another 30 unloading.All told,I figure I have 4 hours total invested in a cord,which I sell for $180.Half goes into the bank for expenses,repairs, new saws,etc.The other half goes into my pocket.I roughly make $20 an hour doing what I like,and its tax free.

There is money to be made selling wood,but you have to have a few things first.
You gotta love what your doing.Period.Its hard work
You gotta have a good wood source.
You gotta have a plan.And stick with it.If you locate a source and its muddy,full of brush, miles from the house,etc either walk away or accept the fact that you arent going to make your goal of what you want for hourly wages.
You gotta have good tools.Fast saws, a winch to pull the big stuff in your trailer,etc.
You gotta maintain those tools.Spend the money on oil changes, air and fuel filters,etc or face some spendy repairs.

And above all, enjoy your time in the woods,meeting new folks, and take the time to talk with your customers.I hand out cards to anyone standing still for more than 3 seconds, and have made some valuable contacts this way.After delivering a load to a guy, I sat there talking with the guy for an hour.Sure,it cut into my hourly wage,but I walked away with a $3500 clearing job.Cleared the lot for him in six days,got my $3500, and hauled home 12 trailer loads of nice white oak and a nice 6 point buck that made the mistake of eating the guys fall garden while I was there.

Back