Any one got some good splitting wedges ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessejames

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Tired of my hencho en China wedges bouncing out of nearly every round. looking for one that sticks better, either new ones i can buy, old ones to look for or a design i can forge. had a wonderfull old wedge that stuck in every thing but lost it in the sawdust at the beach :msp_angry: would hate to forge new wedges that bounced.
I'm using them to split stuff too big for the maul, or knotty stuff with interlocked grain.
next ones are getting painted with hot pink marker paint :rock:
cheers
Jesse

Got a couple from HF recently. Seem to be made of something a few cuts above the current-standard ferrous pot-metal. Made in India. Just had to take a disc grinder to them to flatten their faces.

Suggestion: on a difficult piece, noodle a slot into the side of the round, then insert wedge(s). Way easier all around. Often you can dispense with the wedge(s) and just hit the slot with a maul. Practice, practice, practice.

Got a couple from HF recently. Seem to be made of something a few cuts above the current-standard ferrous pot-metal. Made in India. Just had to take a disc grinder to them to flatten their faces.

Suggestion: on a difficult piece, noodle a slot into the side of the round, then insert wedge(s). Way easier all around. Often you can dispense with the wedge(s) and just hit the slot with a maul. Practice, practice, practice.

Ditto on taking a grinder to them. In my opinion the sides should be flat to the point, not the 45 deg grind they put on the new cheap wedges. I like them sharp enough that I an hold the wedge and slam it into the round and have it stick, I don't like trying to hold the wedge with 1 hand and beat it in with the sledge.

I also picked up an Estwig wedge on clearance from Home Depot. I only used it a few times but it worked well.

Thanks everyone.

I'll look for those estwing wedges.

Sounds like i have a date with my angle grinder to even out the huge bevel on the end of mine.

quite a bit of metal to remove to get an even taper. sounds like it should work though.

Look at Helko Twisted Wedge or the Wetterlings Twisted Splitting Wedge. A little pricey but you get what you pay for- consider all tools an investment.:rock:

yeah, in most cases you get took!

Look at Helko Twisted Wedge or the Wetterlings Twisted Splitting Wedge. A little pricey but you get what you pay for- consider all tools an investment.:rock:

The steel in wedges is unimportant and the best shape is a sharp V. You're wasting your money with any thing else.:cool2:
Open mind closed pocketbook!

I tried a "grenade"type once. It was supposed to quarter the rounds in one hit. ..it didn't. I did like the fact it was easy to start as it was pointed on the end. But it wasn't worth a crap otherwise. I also like estwings.

I second the "don't waste your money on wood grenades." The reason they are called grenades is you will diving for cover when they bounce out of the wood over your head.

Picked up a Estwing Sure Split wedge yesterday to pair with my Fiskars isocore splitting maul. The Estwing wedge works exceptionally well, I highly recommend it.

Back