Noob Firewood business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well thanks for the thumbs up all. not sure on the wood splitter, whether or not its vertical or horizontal it leaks hydraulic oil he said so i'll take a look at that and see what it needs. As for pictures of the pile I plan on going out there this weekend and working so I will be sure to snap a few for ye. Show ya'll what I can do in a day go ahead judge! Face cords here in Ontario whether it's a actual legal measurement of wood i'm not quite sure! but the dimensions are 16' 'x4' x8'. Yeah CASH MONEY!!! the government are a bunch of crooks so F*** The GOVERNMENT! Justin Trudeau especially damn shame compared to his father, least Pierre Elliot Trudeau had the nuts to give the queen the finger! Wish we had trump Maybe I'll go lay this block wall down south next winter LMAO

I'd say the guy buying the firewood should know what he's buying and the person selling should be honest about it, i'm not going to rip anyone off if the wood is **** i'll say its **** price goes down, soft wood cuts fast easier on equipment price goes down I'll separate the hard and softs it all burns some people don't care about paying others are cheap. Keep the competition and the prices high, damn hard work if you are making crap money might as well go fishing on the weekends and lay stone during the week maybe i'll start calling these other guys and say lets jack up the prices oil and gas for the winter is 3X more $ laziness is costly lol.

Picking up a peavey this Friday seen a 2in1 peavey log jack might go for that. I'm just going to muscle it for now! told the young lads at work "We'll see who has the bigger guns come fall, you guys eating that protein **** or me with my tuna and 385xp"! if the saw guy gets the 288 running I might pick that up good price if all he want is 375$ for a vintage workhorse,
I would feel safest pulling the crap out of the pile and cutting away from the pile. I'll figure out a system. safety and efficiency. As Kiwibro mentioned "arborist wood". Little timmies tree fort and four inch spikes DOH! i'll have to keep that in mind thanks Kiwibro. My house has a big lot I'm sitting on a acre and a bit Just don't want the eye sore of wood, Honestly I'm going to cart out the hardwood and stack it at home that's the good stuff least until I get to know the guy! If the deal goes south and I get ripped well lets just say they make diesel in the south! I shouldn't say that incase it can be used against me in the court of law but this club i'm a member of the "IDC" club, I dont care club its awesome!

Anyways thanks for the replies i'll be sure to get some pics up for ye. let you all know how it goes

I think you should use the saws you have, borrow the splitter they guy has and pour the proceeds into better equipment to see how this venture pans out.

QUOTE="Fireaxman, post: 6135024, member: 6128"]Sale by the "Trailer", or by the "Pickup Load", or by the "Wheelbarrow Load", or even by the "Bundle" is perfectly acceptable to me. The consumer sees what he or she is buying and makes the appropriate value judgment for their situation. But if it aint a cord, don't call it a cord. How would you feel if you pulled in to a gas station and filled your truck at an advertised $2.50 a gallon and you were surprised that your 20 gallon tank took 30 "Gallons"? A "Gallon" is a Legal Unit of Sale, a specific amount. A "Cord Well Stacked" is similarly a legal unit of sale. Don't corrupt it.[/QUOTE]

No, when someone says cord, it's a cord, not a face cord!

upload_2017-1-26_8-40-8.png

Alright so i understand that this might not be the right way to do things, but when you speak about Firewood around are area, even if your talking with Mills, about getting Firewood Logs. they talk in Face Cord, and Bush cord. but when you are talking with people you explain the Face cord and Bush cord, or full cord.

but when your trying to talk with someone and you say cord, and they come back with you mean Face Cord? you talk about Face cord. No one is trying to hide anything around are area, it's so small that if you where have bad rep that you won't be selling wood very much longer, word spreads very quickly and every one knows everyone, or knows someone who speaks with this person in the morning at the convenience store for coffee in the morning.

the main thing is to be honest with the person you are selling to.

Your 16ftx4ftx8ft "cord" is 4 cords.

A cord is 128 cu ft of stacked wood, it's not argueable. Just the same a gallon is 128oz.

There is an outfit here that sells face cords, ricks, ranks, johns, sallys, who da hell knows... he is barely scraping by. I've delivered 50+ miles to his neighbors because they hate him that much.

To Wowzer:

In the picture you posted of a half cord and a cord it states 16-18" Well it doesn't sound like much but each inch variation from 16" is 6.25% so two inches is 12.50%

I will often cut longer than 16" since I am working on log cutoffs from log landings in order to not have very short pieces. Not a big deal to me but you picture was to inform people to what actual defined cord quantities are.

I was hoping you guys would bring up the fuel gallon thing. I know American is a big place but it ain't the whole world. We're Canadians our gallons are 160 ozs. Yours are 128oz. Google it. Pints are also different. That's why you only buy off a reputable guy. People who price shop and change guys every year deserve what they get.

Work smart and slow. you mentioned you were a bricklayer for 15 years. I hope your back and knees and shoulders stay healthy and strong.When I was younger and birddoggin" wood I remember and old guy saying to me while tossing huge oak rounds into my truck " a dog that ***** fast doesn't **** long". Work at a nice even pace and don't do too much in any one day.

Well thanks for the thumbs up all. not sure on the wood splitter, whether or not its vertical or horizontal it leaks hydraulic oil he said so i'll take a look at that and see what it needs. As for pictures of the pile I plan on going out there this weekend and working so I will be sure to snap a few for ye. Show ya'll what I can do in a day go ahead judge! Face cords here in Ontario whether it's a actual legal measurement of wood i'm not quite sure! but the dimensions are 16' 'x4' x8'. Yeah CASH MONEY!!! the government are a bunch of crooks so F*** The GOVERNMENT! Justin Trudeau especially damn shame compared to his father, least Pierre Elliot Trudeau had the nuts to give the queen the finger! Wish we had trump Maybe I'll go lay this block wall down south next winter LMAO

I'd say the guy buying the firewood should know what he's buying and the person selling should be honest about it, i'm not going to rip anyone off if the wood is **** i'll say its **** price goes down, soft wood cuts fast easier on equipment price goes down I'll separate the hard and softs it all burns some people don't care about paying others are cheap. Keep the competition and the prices high, damn hard work if you are making crap money might as well go fishing on the weekends and lay stone during the week maybe i'll start calling these other guys and say lets jack up the prices oil and gas for the winter is 3X more $ laziness is costly lol.

Picking up a peavey this Friday seen a 2in1 peavey log jack might go for that. I'm just going to muscle it for now! told the young lads at work "We'll see who has the bigger guns come fall, you guys eating that protein **** or me with my tuna and 385xp"! if the saw guy gets the 288 running I might pick that up good price if all he want is 375$ for a vintage workhorse,
I would feel safest pulling the crap out of the pile and cutting away from the pile. I'll figure out a system. safety and efficiency. As Kiwibro mentioned "arborist wood". Little timmies tree fort and four inch spikes DOH! i'll have to keep that in mind thanks Kiwibro. My house has a big lot I'm sitting on a acre and a bit Just don't want the eye sore of wood, Honestly I'm going to cart out the hardwood and stack it at home that's the good stuff least until I get to know the guy! If the deal goes south and I get ripped well lets just say they make diesel in the south! I shouldn't say that incase it can be used against me in the court of law but this club i'm a member of the "IDC" club, I dont care club its awesome!

Anyways thanks for the replies i'll be sure to get some pics up for ye. let you all know how it goes
Your 16ftx4ftx8ft "cord" is 4 cords.

Think he said 16", not 16ft.

I was hoping you guys would bring up the fuel gallon thing. I know American is a big place but it ain't the whole world. We're Canadians our gallons are 160 ozs. Yours are 128oz. Google it. Pints are also different. That's why you only buy off a reputable guy. People who price shop and change guys every year deserve what they get.

Candidia uses liters, not gallons.

Still have to convert it to get little US gallons. 2 stroke mix is gallons usually. Some of us old farts still use gallons for most stuff.
I reread where Madex also wrote 16'. Wowser's said 16".

Madex, Now that some time has passed. If I were you I would concentrate on the brick laying. There will be a future in it much more so than making a few dollars selling firewood. They is a huge shortage of brick layers and it's going to get a lot worse. Put your head down and learn the trade and go far.

I've been a mason for 16 years labored for 5. I make excellent money as a mason, hell I was 10 years old spreading bricks for my uncle. I love to work. I know my body, firewood processing is something I enjoy its not going to be a full time gig or replace masonry, the repetition of spreading cement is taking its toll on my elbow. since I've started swinging a axe and doing this firewood I've noticed a difference in my arms, now masonry is light duty work lol. I use dollies, hooks, I got all kinds of hand tools and little contraptions I've made up to save my back when moving blocks of wood. I work smart not hard, I'm a workaholic just the other day we got a big snowfall I shoveled my laneway my neighbors my uncles and my aunts all before the sun came up. no snowblower don't want to disturb anyone at 4am.

If you're investing $1300 dollars in two good pro grade chainsaws then you should definitely get atleast a good dual axle trailer maybe even a 6x10 dump trailer. Wood is heavier than you think and 5k will add up quick on a trailer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My plan to sell the wood for now is when camping season starts i'll just sit on the side of the road and have bundled wood for sale, bigger bundles than the gas stations and campsites. I grew up in the cottage country around here so I know all the good spots to sit, I have a few big orders already Some for family and friends cottages my cousin lives close by and he'll deliver to family and friends cottages since they are all in the same area as his cottage. Another local guy wants 3 cords of hardwood and 1 cord soft. I don't have to worry about moving anything around just yet! Wood is heavy lol yesterday I tackled a few 36 inch wide logs yielded almost 2 cord. Right now the pile is mostly pine. not to mention all this wood is still green semi green, although last night I was cooking hot dogs on the bonfire and the pine was burning nicely. Splits easily because its frozen solid so i'm cleaving as much as I can while its froze. Oh and I might have a deal with a campsite making bundles up for them, large camp ground just waiting on the decision. I'm sitting around 8 cord sold to family friends and 4 cord to a person at my wifes work. bundles at the roadside on long weekends then I fish. Delivering for now i'm not to worried my work has a 16' dump truck the kind with the 2 foot sides that fold down we use it to load equipment and get the odd load of sand if we run low on a job. Boss is a good guy and said anytime! I hate the ice and snow its hard to tell if your cutting a chunk of frozen mud until its too late. out west they burn pine, spruce, cedar because that's all they got, newfoundland they all burn pine. here everyone is afraid of pine! maybe I should sweep chimney's lol I can brick em so what the hell

Come to thinking!!! I wonder how much crap i'd get in if I used black powder and split these big logs in half lol maybe I could rig up 10 big logs and blast em all before the "authorities" showed up. I watched my grand father do it one time when I was a kid it was awesome, i'm not sure if I can buy fuses in Canada though. just blast em where they sit and pull the halves out much easier i'd say. This will be interesting....AHAHAAHAHA

I always put an educational blurb at the bottom of my CL ads. I explain what a cord is, and what a face cord is, and explain that it's also called a rick, rank, and cord.
I explain that a face cord is a SQUARE measure, while a cord is a CUBIC measure. In other words, a face cord can be 4' x 8' but have only 12" long wood, or 24" long wood - it's still a single face cord but has double the amount of wood.
Hopefully some buyers read that and learn, and take that learning to whomever they buy from.

My wood business has its own money pool, no more money going into it and i'm just going to go from here. it's just a past time hobby make a few bucks. make some muscle and have fun doing it. The wood lot is close to home I could walk there in 30 minutes. Like I said my day job lets me live comfortably. I just have an abundant amount of energy. I know all the measurements for cordage it was probably a typo error on my part but thanks anyways, I have a high wpm.

I switched to a 20'' Oem bar and Oem chain on the husky 385xp went from a 7 tooth sprocket to a 8 tooth sprocket, that saw is a wood chewing beast now! Snapped the 28'' laser chain cutting a notch for a wedge (Chinese junk) that chain only cut a hand full of logs. I can split wood pretty fast but some pieces the wood grain is so twisted it's just a waste of time to even attempt, I buried 2 wedges in one piece took me 20 minutes to get them out lol the log was maybe 12'' diameter. now I stack those blocks for the future splitter. The fiskars X27 is a nice splitting axe 36'' handle 6.5 pound head, the only thing is don't miss the wood and hit the ground. My first swing brand new axe went right through the block missed the chopping block by a inch hit the snow/ice took a chunk of the tip of the blade, now I have the cutting block sitting on 2 crossed sheets of chip board just in case. I still swing the 10 pound maul on the big boys to break em down makes it easier to load on the dolly Today I got the day off work so i'm thinking of making a make shift forge up and taking some of the 1'' rebar and try my hand at smithing up a big cant hook, hard to find a large one and the ones I seen i'd have to order in the range of $150+ shipping. But of course right after I spend the next few hours shoveling all the snow that fell last night. And its Valentines day so i'll make the wife a heart out of re bar paint it and it will last forever! nah something special for her she always kicks me in gear when I need it. Nothing like a woman that can sharpen and clean a saw!

Sounds like an awesome deal. Hope it worked out well for him. I cut on a butt log pile for a full season. That was nice but sometimes a little dicey with the potentially moving.

Latest posts

Back