Splitter engine sizing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee192233

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an old splitter that I want to repower. It currently has an 8 hp flathead Briggs. I'm wondering what modern engine would work well. I'm thinking a predator 301cc or 420cc. Which one would you guys pick?

Thank you!

Hi all,

I have an old splitter that I want to repower. It currently has an 8 hp flathead Briggs. I'm wondering what modern engine would work well. I'm thinking a predator 301cc or 420cc. Which one would you guys pick?

Thank you!
M B&S 8 hp is 318.5 cc. I'm not familiar with the predator engines but would think the 301cc would work. Don't know cost difference, 420cc certainly would work.

Hi all,

Thank you!
If it were me I would spend the extra 80 dollars and get the 420 cc with the electric start. You don't have to hook up the electric start up if you don't want it right away. You also have the extra power if later you want to up grade your pump. But its easy to spend some one else's money. LOL

I'm personally a fan of keeping pump ratings and hp ratings fairly close, no need to have too much overhead imo. Been running a 9hp subaru Robin ex27 with my 16gpm pump for years, and it's been very well matched. By the time I've ran a tank out I need a break anyway. Don't know what cc it is off the top of my head.

Latest posts

Back