Speeco splitter and a dead Briggs - replacement options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Curious what folks have done (have seen some threads) for options in replacing the Briggs and Stratton 675E vertical shaft engines on the Speeco splitters. I wouldn't mind upgrading with the change.
Currently, I'm mulling over three options:
1) Replace with another brand of vertical shaft, with more HP if possible.
2) Replace with 115V electric motor (not sure what size or if I could use same pump at lower RPM)
3) Run the pump off my compact tractor PTO with some sort of 1:10 gearbox so I could run the 38 HP diesel at around 1500 RPM to bring the pump to the right speed

1 is simplest, 2 is most efficient (less performant?) result, but 3 is the one I really want to do. I've got enough engines to maintain already.

I should mention that the obvious thought of running the cylinder straight from the compact tractor isn't an option. I don't have rear remotes, but even if I did- the tractor's hydraulic pressure and flow I think is inadequate. (Kubota L3800DT)

Interested in anyone's constructive thoughts and experiences. I'm having trouble finding components for any of these options.

A gearbox with enough torque capacity will cost you much more than a replacement engine. You'd also need to build the rest of the drivetrain. Another option would be a 540 rpm pump for the back of the tractor but even that will cost way more than a replacement engine that bolts on.

How many HP is the current engine
It's a 190 CC flathead with 6.75 ft-lbs of torque. On lots of lawn mowers. I think they call it a 5 hp engine.

I have this splitter too and the old briggs is still in great shape but what I did is buy a pressure washer with a subaru 5 hp vertical shaft engine. Eventually that washer pump will die and the subaru engine will go to the splitter.

Repower the splitter.

Yeah... likely going to go that way. (repowering the splitter) I did see some step up gearboxes from China that look like they're meant to be sold only in bulk to manufacturers, so unless I found some old implement that ratio'ed up (a junk PTO generator maybe), then I'm probably SOL.

Over the years I have repowered a number of Speeco splitters that had the five HP vertical engine. Most of the time the owner wanted some more speed on the cycle time so I would normally use the HF Predator engine normally went with a 13 HP horizontal engine with electric start and would get a adapter and a 16 GPM two stage pump from Surplus Center. The larger pump is a nice up grade. Did a couple of them with 540 PTO pumps from surplus center for farmers that didn't want another engine around. The PTO pumps work great also.

Over the years I have repowered a number of Speeco splitters that had the five HP vertical engine. Most of the time the owner wanted some more speed on the cycle time so I would normally use the HF Predator engine normally went with a 13 HP horizontal engine with electric start and would get a adapter and a 16 GPM two stage pump from Surplus Center. The larger pump is a nice up grade. Did a couple of them with 540 PTO pumps from surplus center for farmers that didn't want another engine around. The PTO pumps work great also.
I'm super curious about your PTO solution and where to get them. Surplus center?

I'm super curious about your PTO solution and where to get them. Surplus center?
I'm super curious why someone would want to put the extra wear and tear on a expensive 38hp diesel tractor over dropping $230 for a new HF engine for the log splitter. Fuel cost alone between the two would be noticeable

I'm super curious why someone would want to put the extra wear and tear on a expensive 38hp diesel tractor over dropping $230 for a new HF engine for the log splitter. Fuel cost alone between the two would be noticeable
Debating my reasoning for the prioritization isn't really why I posted... hence the very specific inclusion of "constructive" in describing thoughts I'm interested in. But in case you're genuinely interested and not just flaming the question, I'll elaborate a bit. I already said why in the first post... fewer engines to maintain is better, all else equal. I have 7 other implements for that tractor... is it smart to have them each powered by a secondary cheap engine instead of PTO? Time or money- it's a bad way to go.

Diesel burn rate is engine size and load determined remember... 1500 RPM is plenty into the power band for a splitter pump. I'll never hit EOL on that diesel motor with the hours I put on it either. Also wrong on the fuel: the tiny splitter engine spends fuel $$ over 2x as fast as the diesel Kubota at 1500RPM. (assuming $4 diesel and $3.60 gas)

All that said, the conversion is actually a high initial cost though unless I was able to find comparably priced components (pump/shaft vs engine). I can handle the issue of not being ready to bolt on, with no expense other than my scrap pile and some metal working tool wear.

Say more modifying a Speeco/Huskee splitter from vertical to horizontal engines. I have the B&S 190 cc and HF only has the 173cc vertical engine; all the rest are horizontal. So the 212cc horizontal looks to be the best replacement for it; except for vertical to horizontal issue.

I agree that I don't really want to have to use my tractor for splitting wood, but in some cases there would be an advantage. That said, with regards to fuel cost, the tractor would be MUCH cheaper. My 25hp will run WOT for 8 hours on 5 gal of fuel. That 38hp could run that splitter at half throttle with no problems. My 27 ton MTD splitter will drain almost a gallon of gas in less than half an hour. My 26hp Dixie Chopper would mow my 1.25 acre yard twice on 5 gal of fuel, and that was running the engine at half throttle while "trimming". My F2880 diesel mill mow the yard 5 times on 5 gal of fuel if I run it WOT the hole time. If I back the throttle off while I'm working around stuff, I can mow from April through September on 10 gal of fuel. If fuel cost is a major concern, diesel will win every time, and not by just a little bit.

id buy a replacment of the same thing and keep goin. or upgrade the hp and pump

I agree that I don't really want to have to use my tractor for splitting wood, but in some cases there would be an advantage. That said, with regards to fuel cost, the tractor would be MUCH cheaper. My 25hp will run WOT for 8 hours on 5 gal of fuel. That 38hp could run that splitter at half throttle with no problems. My 27 ton MTD splitter will drain almost a gallon of gas in less than half an hour. My 26hp Dixie Chopper would mow my 1.25 acre yard twice on 5 gal of fuel, and that was running the engine at half throttle while "trimming". My F2880 diesel mill mow the yard 5 times on 5 gal of fuel if I run
Debating my reasoning for the prioritization isn't really why I posted... hence the very specific inclusion of "constructive" in describing thoughts I'm interested in. But in case you're genuinely interested and not just flaming the question, I'll elaborate a bit. I already said why in the first post... fewer engines to maintain is better, all else equal. I have 7 other implements for that tractor... is it smart to have them each powered by a secondary cheap engine instead of PTO? Time or money- it's a bad way to go.

Diesel burn rate is engine size and load determined remember... 1500 RPM is plenty into the power band for a splitter pump. I'll never hit EOL on that diesel motor with the hours I put on it either. Also wrong on the fuel: the tiny splitter engine spends fuel $$ over 2x as fast as the diesel Kubota at 1500RPM. (assuming $4 diesel and $3.60 gas)

All that said, the conversion is actually a high initial cost though unless I was able to find comparably priced components (pump/shaft vs engine). I can handle the issue of not being ready to bolt on, with no expense other than my scrap pile and some metal working tool wear.
WOT the hole time. If I back the throttle off while I'm working around stuff, I can mow from April through September on 10 gal of fuel. If fuel cost is a major concern, diesel will win every time, and not by just a little bit.

You can justify it anyway you want to and yeah I really wondered why you wanted to do that with the tractor. I call bull on the fuel differences but you can believe what you want and I'm not going to argue with you on that.

Back to the wear and tear on the tractor, I'm not just talking about engine hours, I'm talking wear on the drive line parts, Pto etc. Plus how much does it cost you to change the trans/hyd oil and filters now days? I know it cost me quite a bit now days.

Do what you want, its your circus and monkeys.

From my experience, you are usually better off repowering with a horizontal shaft engine. It opens you up to a better selection of engines.
Those small vertical shaft engines are usually pretty light duty in a splitter application.
It's usually not terribly hard to mount up a horizontal engine in their place.

I have a splitter I repowered with a Predator 301cc (8hp) from Harbor Freight. It's been on there 3 or 4 years now and has been great. Reasonably quiet and smooth, plenty of power, and I can split wood all afternoon on a gallon of gas. Starts easy with 1 or 2 pulls, and I've gone nothing to it but oil changes.

Latest posts

Back