Lickety log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsplitta

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've got an old Lickety splitter and the Tecumseh engine on it is tired and cranky, thinking about putting a predator engine on it but was wondering if anyone has tried an electric motor on one of these units. Thinking it would be nice to get away from the noise and smell but not sure how well it would work? BTW the splitter has the two stage piston and the ram is returned by large springs in the beam.

Have you checked for an equivalent (HP rating of the old Tecumseh) horse power electric motor? I'm guessing the original motor was at least 3.5 HP. I have a Craftsmen 120 volt air compressor that claims 5 HP - which is an impossibility. It's pretty difficult to make an electric motor that produces 3.5 HP at 120 volts. My FIL had a cool electric Super Split that could run inside on house current - but that's kinetic energy rather than hydraulic.

The engine on it now I believe to be a 9 HP. I will have to do some research to figure out the electric motor requirements. Might be cheaper to go with the predator gasser a 13 HP can be had for under $400 and they run a bit quieter and cleaner than the old engines, just thought maybe someone would chime in with first hand experience.

just as a I guess type thought ,any electric motor to replace a 9hp gas engine will have to be 220-240 volt at least no 110-125 stuff.

let me clarify I guess it could be done with some type of pulley reduction I guess, not a direct drive.

The engine on it now I believe to be a 9 HP. I will have to do some research to figure out the electric motor requirements. Might be cheaper to go with the predator gasser a 13 HP can be had for under $400 and they run a bit quieter and cleaner than the old engines, just thought maybe someone would chime in with first hand experience.
Rule of thumb is that an electric motor can produce twice its claimed rating for intermittent duty such as for a log splitter. So a 5 Hp electric motor can replace a 10 Hp gasoline engine at the same speed. However, gasoline engines may run faster. I would use a 3500 rpm electric motor. I have a Ramsplitter with a 3 Hp electric motor. Yes, it is 220 volt. And I bought it over a gasoline powered unit because it is quieter, does not emit fumes and is lower maintenance.

Well then, if 220v is needed I guess I'll go with a gasser cuz sometimes I split in the field and thought I could use a genny those times but 220 is not doable without more $. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Well then, if 220v is needed I guess I'll go with a gasser cuz sometimes I split in the field and thought I could use a genny those times but 220 is not doable without more $. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Some light duty electric splitters use 110 volts. I think they may go up to 8 ton force. Not sure how big of a log that translates into.

Latest posts

Back