Log splitter troubleshooting help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjnspecial

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have an older Iron & Oak fast cycle splitter that not creating enough force to split wood. The ram extends and retracts quickly but it goes limp wristed as soon as it hits a piece of wood. I'm thinking a piston seal in the cylinder crapped out or the 2 stage pump isn't kicking down like it's supposed. The engine never loses RPM's, bogs down or changes tone the entire time. What's the best way to diagnose these issues? I'm thinking take the port off the retract side of the cylinder, extend the ram and see if fluid is leaks out. No clue on diagnosing the pump. Any help is appreciated.

PSA: if you loan your equipment to someone, make sure they aren't loaning it out others. No good deed goes unpunished.

The piston seals crapped out. I took the hose that runs from the rear of the cylinder to the spool valve loose, retracted the rod all the way and fluid stared pouring out once it was fully retracted.

Latest posts

Back