Help please, log splitter, low pressure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zcatman6

Reaction score
I am working on a 15 ton brave industries hp1226f log splitter. It was splitting wood fine for an hour and a half prior to failure. The ram still went in and out, but didn’t have enough power to split wood. I have changed the pump with a new chepo 13gph 2 stage pump, the cylinder operates much faster but still won’t split wood. I then installed a 3000 psi gauge at the valve (energy v1) inlet from the pump. When I run the 5.5 Briggs at max throttle it only registers about 900 psi on the gauge (when the cylinder is maxed out in either direction). The gauge reads 0 until I operate the valve. I tried adjusting the pump to max and it stalled the engine upon reaching max travel of the cylinder. I tried adjusting the setting on the control valve with no change. I know nothing about log splitters and am trying to help a friend, please help. Thank you in advance.

Based on the description, it sounds like the piston seal in the cylinder is leaking, allowing fluid to bypass under pressure. ( if not, then a seal in the valve has failed.)
to confirm, extend the cylinder to the very end and apply pressure. 900 psi. Disconnect the rod end hose from the valve and direct it into a pail. Try to extend the cylinder again. if fluid flows into the pail, the cylinder needs new piston seals. If not, change the valve.

With the pump adjustment at max, stalling the engine is expected behaviour.

Another way to check a hydraulic cylinder is to position the ram approximately mid stroke, cap off the cap end of the cylinder port then try to retract the ram with the valve. If cylinder extends then rings are bad or barrel is swelled either one allowing oil to pass to the cap end.

Latest posts

Back