Speeco splitter and a dead Briggs - replacement options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a converted Speeco and usually only use it on huge rounds. I also use it for splitting construction cutoffs into fine kindling. It still has the original engine on it and it works well. If it ever went I would just put a chinese engine and pump on it. I have several of them and they all work good.

Attachments

• IMG_00000186.jpg
    IMG_00000186.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 560249-5e473459c7b3c918b3f6b28ef17f0888.jpg
    560249-5e473459c7b3c918b3f6b28ef17f0888.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0
From my experience, you are usually better off repowering with a horizontal shaft engine. It opens you up to a better selection of engines.
Those small vertical shaft engines are usually pretty light duty in a splitter application.
It's usually not terribly hard to mount up a horizontal engine in their place.

I have a splitter I repowered with a Predator 301cc (8hp) from Harbor Freight. It's been on there 3 or 4 years now and has been great. Reasonably quiet and smooth, plenty of power, and I can split wood all afternoon on a gallon of gas. Starts easy with 1 or 2 pulls, and I've gone nothing to it but oil changes.
This was my impression as well when I looked at available replacements- thanks!

Most 2 stage splitter pumps are designed to turn at about 3400 rpm, the governed speed of all the 4 stroke engines out there. If you're running one at 540 rpm off a tractor pto, you're really wasting your time and money.
Yeah, was in no way planning to run a 3400 RPM pump at 540. I did mention a ratio'd gearbox being of interest for that option.

Yeah, was in no way planning to run a 3400 RPM pump at 540. I did mention a ratio'd gearbox being of interest for that option.
Your gas engine runs at 34-3600 rpm, an electric motor usually has about a 1040 rpm. Something like those numbers. In my opinion you can replace the engine with an old ride on mower engine for cheap, or an old pressure washer engine with a bad pump at a yard sale. Lots of those kicking around

Your gas engine runs at 34-3600 rpm, an electric motor usually has about a 1040 rpm. Something like those numbers. In my opinion you can replace the engine with an old ride on mower engine for cheap, or an old pressure washer engine with a bad pump at a yard sale. Lots of those kicking around
Electric motors are built with various RPM's. Two of the most common are 1725 and 3450 but yes some are lower

Based on what? It works out to < $0.25 / wall clock hour at 1500 RPM in transdraulic expense. Run the numbers.
$30 filter + $86.40 in F&F equivalent Super UDT2 fluid (7.2 gal capacity) - Mechanical tach hour meter on these yields 300 hours in 500 operating wall clock hours at 1500RPM (of the 2425RPM for a 540 PTO) for a change interval. Relative to fuel, that expense is in the noise.

Electric motors are built with various RPM's. Two of the most common are 1725 and 3450 but yes some are lower
It seems like I could get a 5HP stand in electric for less than a 5HP gas replacement (if new), if 5HP electric works as well as 5HP gas. (I was considering upgrade paths too, as the 5HP gas seems underpowered, even for this pump.... it really brings it down in the second stage.

Alas, for the near term, I did find a FB Marketplace $100 replacement vertical shaft motor with a bit more torque and an electric starter. If that works out ok, I guess I'll consider that my upgrade for now. I really appreciate all the constructive input on this thread and shared experiences!

Based on what? It works out to < $0.25 / wall clock hour at 1500 RPM in transdraulic expense. Run the numbers.
$30 filter + $86.40 in F&F equivalent Super UDT2 fluid (7.2 gal capacity) - Mechanical tach hour meter on these yields 300 hours in 500 operating wall clock hours at 1500RPM (of the 2425RPM for a 540 PTO) for a change interval. Relative to fuel, that expense is in the noise.
It depends on how you use your equipment. If you use it often enough that you're going to change fluids and filters based on the calendar and not on the hours, then the wear and tear on the machine isn't worth talking about. At that point, its a question of whether having the splitter mounted on the back of the tractor works well for the way you deal with firewood.

On the other hand, if you own an old, worn out tractor that's on its last leg, and you're only putting 10 to 20 hrs a year on it, then the additional wear and tear of running your splitter is probably not worth it. This is the boat that I'm in. I only gave $2K for my tractor (1983 1710) with its loader. It has over 3k hours on it its never lived indoors, the only electronics that work are the starter, temp gauge, and tach, the hydraulic pump is a little on the weak side, it has a couple of hydraulic leaks once the oil warms up, the engine leaks a little oil, and the head isn't in the best shape. I bought it as a test to see how useful a tractor would be for me. I knew I could get $2K worth of work out of it. I use it for bush hogging once a year, occasionally plowing snow off of our road (1/4 mile, dead end), dragging logs off my trailer and moving them around the yard (including bringing them up to the house to burn) and some occasional dirt/stone/mulch work. Adding a hydraulic splitter to the tractor would likely double the number of hours I run it which would cut its remaining life span in half and it's not worth the tradeoff for me.

Even if that were not the case and I owned a much newer machine, I don't really want to have to get mess with the tractor every time I want to split firewood, especially in the winter. I typically only cut and split 1/2 to 1 cord at a time (as needed, or as time permits) I'd much rather have a dedicated log splitter sitting where I do my splitting.

A friend of mine is in the opposite position even though he also uses a Satoh that he bought used in the early 80's. He has steel firewood racks that he had made decades ago. He has always "worked from home". He cuts and splits all of his firewood for the season and stores it stacked in the steel racks, and then uses his 3ph with forks to move those racks up to his house as needed. His schedule allows him to do all of his splitting for the season in a day or two, and it makes a lot more sense for him to use his tractor hydraulics to run a splitter mounted on his 3ph. He has a skid steer with a bush hog attachment, so his primary use for that tractor for the past 2 decades has been splitting and moving firewood.

There isn't a right or wrong answer to the original question. It just depends on what fits your needs the best. I will say that my friend does NOT take his splitter out into the woods. Its just another piece of equipment that he has to move back and forth. That said, I would NOT want to take MOST towable splitters out into the woods. The ground is too uneven, and the wheels are too small (not enough ground clearance). Too much risk for damaging the splitter.

It depends on how you use your equipment. If you use it often enough that you're going to change fluids and filters based on the calendar and not on the hours, then the wear and tear on the machine isn't worth talking about. At that point, its a question of whether having the splitter mounted on the back of the tractor works well for the way you deal with firewood.

On the other hand, if you own an old, worn out tractor that's on its last leg, and you're only putting 10 to 20 hrs a year on it, then the additional wear and tear of running your splitter is probably not worth it. This is the boat that I'm in. I only gave $2K for my tractor (1983 1710) with its loader. It has over 3k hours on it its never lived indoors, the only electronics that work are the starter, temp gauge, and tach, the hydraulic pump is a little on the weak side, it has a couple of hydraulic leaks once the oil warms up, the engine leaks a little oil, and the head isn't in the best shape. I bought it as a test to see how useful a tractor would be for me. I knew I could get $2K worth of work out of it. I use it for bush hogging once a year, occasionally plowing snow off of our road (1/4 mile, dead end), dragging logs off my trailer and moving them around the yard (including bringing them up to the house to burn) and some occasional dirt/stone/mulch work. Adding a hydraulic splitter to the tractor would likely double the number of hours I run it which would cut its remaining life span in half and it's not worth the tradeoff for me.

Even if that were not the case and I owned a much newer machine, I don't really want to have to get mess with the tractor every time I want to split firewood, especially in the winter. I typically only cut and split 1/2 to 1 cord at a time (as needed, or as time permits) I'd much rather have a dedicated log splitter sitting where I do my splitting.

A friend of mine is in the opposite position even though he also uses a Satoh that he bought used in the early 80's. He has steel firewood racks that he had made decades ago. He has always "worked from home". He cuts and splits all of his firewood for the season and stores it stacked in the steel racks, and then uses his 3ph with forks to move those racks up to his house as needed. His schedule allows him to do all of his splitting for the season in a day or two, and it makes a lot more sense for him to use his tractor hydraulics to run a splitter mounted on his 3ph. He has a skid steer with a bush hog attachment, so his primary use for that tractor for the past 2 decades has been splitting and moving firewood.

There isn't a right or wrong answer to the original question. It just depends on what fits your needs the best. I will say that my friend does NOT take his splitter out into the woods. Its just another piece of equipment that he has to move back and forth. That said, I would NOT want to take MOST towable splitters out into the woods. The ground is too uneven, and the wheels are too small (not enough ground clearance). Too much risk for damaging the splitter.
Yeah, I typically drag the work to the splitter unless it's too big, and then do as much as I can at once... if I have the crew, it takes a couple of splitters to keep up w/ the saws and hauling/stacking. I'll post a picture whenever I get around to the engine swap- assuming it actually works.

A few dozen years ago i read an electric motor was 90% efficient, so a 5 hp would give you 4.5 hp usable. A gas engine on the other hand was only 60%, giving you only 3 usable hp. Not sure if these numbers are still valid, maybe improvements have been made over the years. The electric would also depend on the length of the extension cord to reach it, and the size of the wire too.

A few dozen years ago i read an electric motor was 90% efficient, so a 5 hp would give you 4.5 hp usable. A gas engine on the other hand was only 60%, giving you only 3 usable hp. Not sure if these numbers are still valid, maybe improvements have been made over the years. The electric would also depend on the length of the extension cord to reach it, and the size of the wire too.
That's probably true for an electric motor, but for a gas or diesel engine, it depend on how the HP is determined. If it's the "calculated" hp, then the actual output is likely a lot less. However, its not unheard of to put a small engine on a dyno and report its actual HP output. Seems like this is often the case with utility tractors. I'm not certain where the numbers come from on small engines. I think that's why they went away from advertising something as a "5hp engine" and are now advertising them as "212cc". To say something is 5hp and it doesn't generate 5 hp is false advertising. To advertise it based on its displacement gets around that.

I have seen Project Farm do some comparisons between different engines of the same size (Honda, Briggs, and Predatory IIRC), and there were some noticeable differences between them.

My 2 cents - repower with the predator (easy & cheap). What I did...

Maybe look for used pto splitter since you like that option. Try them both and sell one. PS have a kubota also (but not a splitter as it was not worth the squeeze) - I do like the pto generators though!

Back