Any opinions on Bandit HB 19 Stump Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a brand new Bandit HB 19 self propelled 20 HP walk behind stump grinder. Any feed back from you guys out there on this model. I'm just getting started (part time) grinding stumps.

Congrats, Frank, on your recent purchase. Sounds like a nice unit and you can't go wrong with that Kohler engine.
Try to be as smooth through the cut as possible and put plywood down to help you pivot that 600lb beast.
Enjoy!

ah, good idea on the putting plywood down to pivit machine. Sounds like you may have some expericece on using a walk behind unit? I am starting from scratch. Any other tips?

Frank,

Yes, I still have a small Bluebird walk behind. Actually, I think using a walk behind is a good place to start because it forces you to be smooth and patient while grinding. Any idiot with enough cash can run the high horsepower (50+) machines because the weight and horsepower make up for a lack of skill. That said, this idiot would love to get his hands on the new RG90.

Keep up with the daily maintenance, try to be smooth through the cut, use plywood, attack bigger stumps from several angles, put a small boat winch on the front of your trailer in case you ever have to pull it up manually, make up a tool bag with all the right size sockets and wrenches and zip tie it to the handlebar, lower the cutting head to keep the weight on the stump, go to Sears and buy the right size hex wrench for your tooth bolts and cut a small enough piece off the end to fit into a socket so you can use a ratchet wrench to tighten teeth, do not use an impact wrench-the teeth do NOT need to be that tight and you can stretch the bolts out overtightening.

You can do what the big boys do, it will just take longer. Call Tree companies and tell them you can get through a 30" gate, then charge a premium for this service. Anyone can grind a stump in the middle of the front yard-you fill a niche.

Good luck!

Totally Stumped, thanks for the tips. Small boat wrench fantastic tip. Do you have a minium that you charge for showing up with your grinder, ie one small stump?

I charge $100. Why $100? Because that is roughly the cost to rent a handlebar machine from Nations Rent or HD in Houston. So, the customer can pay me for a quality job and know my insurance would cover any mishap or they can spend all day Saturday beating themselves silly on a rental machine with dull teeth and a squealing belt, do a half-ass job and pay $5.50/gallon for gas because they were too tired to fill the rental machine back up when they returned it. Not a complicated formula...

I have no maximum limit.

Makes good sense Totally Stumped. Our local equipment rental center charges $150.00 a day for a Merry Mac Grinder. Got two more questions: Do you have to lift up on the handle bar while cutting a stump to have weight on the cutting head? I tried a pratice stump in my back yard (plumb tree) and it barley cut into this thing. Almost seemed like I was polishing the dern thing insted of cutting it. Next, I am having some trouble securing liability insurance. Seems that being a part time business instead of full time is the problem. I told a couple of local insurance brokers that I was going to grind stumps part time and needed liability insurance. I thought the part time issue would be in my benifit in reference to premiums. Word I got back was part time business (equipment operators) are viewed as high risk. Anyway, got any leads on this issue?

Frank,
I forgot the two most important tips of all and it could help you in the liability department. First, always do a careful search for utilities and/or underground hazards (rebar, trash, rocks, sprinkler systems, outdoor lighting, etc.) Dig all around the stump. I carry a hacksaw, several different sizes off pipe, couplers and pvc glue to repair sprinkler systems I accidentally hit. Ask the homeowner or have a marking service come out to locate utilities (should be a free service-Texas has a toll free number for this service). Most utilities should be 18" but not telephone, cable, sprinkler or outdoor lighting-that stuff can be anywhere.
Second, carry 3-4 sheets of 1/4" plywood and some T-posts to hold it up in a wind. I put one 4x8 sheet on the ground directly underneath my grinder because its easier to use a grain shovel (Yankees call them snow shovels) on a hard, flat surface. Also, you will need to pivot off this sheet. Next, I stand two sheets up on either side of my grinder because the grinder tends to shoot stuff out the sides. Lastly, I cover any windows or fancy landscaping. I painted my logo on the sheets for some free advertising.
Yes, its a pain in the ass to carry around 3-4 sheets of 4x8 plywood but its not that heavy. I also carry one sheet of 3/4" to get up curbs and over obstacles.
If you do all these things, you may not need insurance, especially if you only grind parttime. Just my 2 cents...
Most handlebar grinders allow you to adjust the angle of the handle to keep the cutting head down on the stump. I keep mine a notch lower than most folks just to keep the weight down on the stump. I've watched guys grind with the handle up in the air and their arms over their heads trying to pivot. I just think I'm smoother through the cut with the handle a little lower. Then again, I'm five foot nothin' so adjust it to your own height.

Ah, the plywood is a great idea. I will certainly get some. Man, am I going to be careful about utilities! I really don't need that drama. I'm still researching this insurance issue. I guess I need to hear an actual $ quote. As for the handle bar, do you apply upward pressure on the handle bar to put weight on the cutting wheel as you make your passes over the stump?

Totally Stumped said:
Frank,

Yes, I still have a small Bluebird walk behind. Actually, I think using a walk behind is a good place to start because it forces you to be smooth and patient while grinding. Any idiot with enough cash can run the high horsepower (50+) machines because the weight and horsepower make up for a lack of skill.

I'd say after many hours of using both high and low HP machines that your statement is incorrect,you need much much more skill using a high HP machine than a low HP grinder.You are correct though when you say its better to start off grinding with a low HP walk behind.

Latest posts

Back