McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HavinFun

HavinFun

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
My old friend Dan gave me a McCulloch chainsaw yesterday that had been collecting dust in his barn for the last 30+ years. Was his brother’s who hardly used it, and it might still have original chain on it. Seems a little more worn than that, but not much. Turns out to be a 10 10S. My first Mac, been wanting one since the chainsaw bug but. Will fit nicely between the MS250 and Dolkita 6421.
PS I remember back in the day my friend had a go cart with “a McCulloch chainsaw engine, hundred n’25 cc”. Back in the day!

Attachments

• 2E431C31-3767-48BF-99A5-F1491A4FC792.jpeg
    2E431C31-3767-48BF-99A5-F1491A4FC792.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 5046DD6E-A014-4A10-B69B-78ABE4899BF0.jpeg
    5046DD6E-A014-4A10-B69B-78ABE4899BF0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • A8877B5B-1BDB-499B-B6B1-8FE8B745E171.jpeg
    A8877B5B-1BDB-499B-B6B1-8FE8B745E171.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Syncop8r

Syncop8r

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
My old friend Dan gave me a McCulloch chainsaw yesterday that had been collecting dust in his barn for the last 30+ years. Was his brother’s who hardly used it, and it might still have original chain on it. Seems a little more worn than that, but not much. Turns out to be a 10 10S. My first Mac, been wanting one since the chainsaw bug but. Will fit nicely between the MS250 and Dolkita 6421.
PS I remember back in the day my friend had a go cart with “a McCulloch chainsaw engine, hundred n’25 cc”. Back in the day!
Looks mint!

heimannm
Two likely suspects Bob:

1) It is not uncommon for the oil line to come off inside the oil tank. To check this possibility, turn the was on its left side (starter side down) and try the manual oiler. If it oil, the oil line has come off and you will have to remove the oil tank to secure a new one in place.

2) The check valve for in oiler inlet can go bad, there are two types, the older saws had a serviceable disc, same one as used on the 10 Series oilers. These are rarely a problem. The later saws had an integral check valve in the oiler and if they fail, the pump needs to be replaced. You can find new pumps on eBay, Max has them, and I have them available.

If the manual oiler works in all positions but the automatic oiler does not, it is likely the piston for the impulse operated pump is sticking. Sometimes you get lucky and can just run the adjustment screw all the way down and back it out again to free the piston. More typically you have to remove the pump and free it up. It is possible to remove the 4 screws and take the pump out with the saw fully assembled, just remember to remove the manual oiler rod first...

Mark

bob kern

bob kern

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Two likely suspects Bob:

1) It is not uncommon for the oil line to come off inside the oil tank. To check this possibility, turn the was on its left side (starter side down) and try the manual oiler. If it oil, the oil line has come off and you will have to remove the oil tank to secure a new one in place.

2) The check valve for in oiler inlet can go bad, there are two types, the older saws had a serviceable disc, same one as used on the 10 Series oilers. These are rarely a problem. The later saws had an integral check valve in the oiler and if they fail, the pump needs to be replaced. You can find new pumps on eBay, Max has them, and I have them available.

If the manual oiler works in all positions but the automatic oiler does not, it is likely the piston for the impulse operated pump is sticking. Sometimes you get lucky and can just run the adjustment screw all the way down and back it out again to free the piston. IMG_20240506_112127219.jpgMore typically you have to remove the pump and free it up. It is possible to remove the 4 screws and take the pump out with the saw fully assembled, just remember to remove the manual oiler rod first...

Mark
A mountain of good info as usual. Thank you sir. I forgot I had taken a pic from on top.
I will be off of saws for a while as my sister inlaw passed this morning but I will update later.

heimannm
Sorry for your loss Bob.

The only way to determine which oil pump is to take it off and turn it over.

10 Series style disc

20200831_104321.jpg

Integral, non serviceable

20200831_110725.jpg

If you look carefully at the photos you will also see that the diaphragms are different, disc style has a tear drop shaped opening for the check valve, integral check valve has two smaller holes.

Mark

vinnywv
CHainsaw short story.....a coworker of mine was yard saling and run across a guy who was moving and decided to sell it all. He had 2 saws. My friend asks how much and the guy says 5 dollars each...he buys em both. Calls me and says i got 2sawsfor you to clean up and get running for me. Ok i says...what are they. Both "off brand", but remember guys...5 dollars each...i said bring them to work ill get em checked out. The smaller is a cough cough stihl ms311. Needs a clutch and eclip and new chain. No worries. Fired right up and runs great. Number 2 saw...also orange and white, remember 5 dollars, is a ms462. A very expensive saw when new. All it needs is the oiler arm that the clutch drum catches. Perfect piston and cylinder, started great runs great. What a you suck yard sale story. 10 dollars he spent on saws.

Now for my good timing...today on ebay, a nos 82cc B engine block and oil tank, 50 bucks!! Now i need to start getting the rest of it to build another 82cc saw....winter project. Plenty of time. And yes i now own the 462 stihl..lol. He passed on the good deal. I gave a fair offer.