Any Reason for Concern?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyB

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys! This leaf fell off a burr oak I'm fond of yesterday. Not sure what to make of it. From the ground my untrained eye doesn't spot any large areas of discoloration in the crown. I'm not sure, however, this issue would be noticeable from a distance even if all the leaves looked similar. There are, however, lots of epicormic sprouts. Its been dry and hot around here in MN for a month or so now.

Any reason for concern or response? Does it tell you anything? If so, what? Thanks in advance for your help.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rq4MT1Ma5jNawFgv7

Concern, yes. Veinal chlorosis is serious. It's a sign the tree is shutting down.
Get a soil test done possible iron or magnesium deficiency. Tree poisoning or massive root loss can also cause veinal chlorosis. I will usually see that on heavily construction damaged root systems, the vast majority of those are removals.
I don't know if you have oak wilt in your area of MN?

Hi Raintree, thanks for your response. I will look into your diagnosis of veinal chlorosis. Not a construction site. Oak wilt is a big problem in MN but I'm not seeing development elsewhere in the crown or neighboring trees.

Back