Any tree trimmers on this forum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone on arborist site is employed as a tree trimmer in the U.S. Whether it’s a major company like Asplundh or a smaller mom and pop shop. I’m thinking of leaving my current construction job to start my journey in the world of arboriculture and would like to chat

Yes that’s what I figured. I currently work in the electric power delivery industry and am thinking of pursuing a career in arboriculture. Tree trimmer to lineman is a very common transition but I’m thinking of going the opposite way because I love running a power saw and often do it for fun when I’m off work. Just trying to get a feel for how much people enjoy it if it’s their job. Tree trimmers transition to lineman because of the pay but I don’t care about that. In my area trimmers still make decent money. Do you enjoy it? Start off as a groundman? Do you plan on being a trimmer for a long time or moving to something else? Care if I PM you?

Yes that’s what I figured. I currently work in the electric power delivery industry and am thinking of pursuing a career in arboriculture. Tree trimmer to lineman is a very common transition but I’m thinking of going the opposite way because I love running a power saw and often do it for fun when I’m off work. Just trying to get a feel for how much people enjoy it if it’s their job. Tree trimmers transition to lineman because of the pay but I don’t care about that. In my area trimmers still make decent money. Do you enjoy it? Start off as a groundman? Do you plan on being a trimmer for a long time or moving to something else? Care if I PM you?
I'm retired, but sure, pm me and I'll be happy to talk to you

I used to be so addicted to climbing if I heard a saw down the road I had to go check out if it was someone I knew. 67 with 2 new titanium knees I no longer miss it. Only advice I have from a distance is, it's one job you can't start at the top, and groundies don't make top money. I'm in MD and to own a business, you have to have a MD Tree Experts license and insurance. When I passed the exam in 1999 you had to have a 4 year degree in a related field or 8 years in the industry. A friend just got his MTE, and it looks like they relaxed the requirements quite a bit. I think he had a total of 4 years in the industry as a climber for DNR and a contract climber for other company's. He had to take the exam twice to pass, but now he is good to go. Good luck and talk to Jolly. He seems on top of the game and I've always liked the way he interacts with others.

We are not the type of tree trimmers that transition to lineman.

We for the most part are tree care pruners, not line clearance tree trimmers.

We probably do have a few line clearance tree trimmers onboard but they are mostly quiet.

We are not the type of tree trimmers that transition to lineman.

We for the most part are tree care pruners, not line clearance tree trimmers.

We probably do have a few line clearance tree trimmers onboard but they are mostly quiet.
Yeah I got that after talking to Jeff. I know there are other tree trimmers and wasn’t assuming you all on here are the line clearing bunch. The reason I brought it up is because that is going to be my foot in the door to the industry since I have no professional timber experience. My plan is to do that for a couple years, while studying and learning, then move on from there

I don't do it for pay, and know what you mean about loving it. I do the tree work at a retirement home that can't afford to hire a service unless they raise the rent, maintain a shooting range, and next weekend will help a friend clear their fence line. I just love nature and great people.

I was a full time line clearance guy with my state power utility. Climbed most of my careers with power co, various telco, and Asplundh. 53 and shot knees and hips. Good for you if you love it. Me too and even though I spend most of my time on the ground now I still truly enjoy climbing and cutting. Best of luck. Spend money on good equipment and always be learning something about the trade. It will never let you down.👍

Stay away from crews with no incentive to do better and move up. Many companies remain stagnated in what they know and never move forward. If your in it for the money many big commercial types are just good to learn from and move on. I was lucky enough to have local small outfits with retiring climbers willing to help out a novice at the time. Basically I'm retiring now from climbing but still enjoy it very much. My body just won't keep up anymore. It will always be a young man's game. Rigging is where the rubber meets the road so study up. Buy the best gear your comfortable with and ignore the pessimists when you're climbing.

Latest posts

Back