Any tricks to cutting stumps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClassicSWC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to ask...

I have a bunch of stumps left from felling trees and they are in my way. I usually cut them off about ground level, but that is a pita. Any tips or tricks from the pros to make it a little easier? Thanks

attachment.php

if there big stumps just chase your cut with some wedges so it won't set down on you . or make some tables out of them.

A big machine is probably the best idea. But if that's out of the question, dynamite. Or, if you've got couple of years, rot them down: drill them and stuff the holes with salpetre (potassium nitrate).

Cut 'em low, toss an old centerless rim on them, fill with cheap charcoal and start a fire.
They burn sub flush in a day or so.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

if there big stumps just chase your cut with some wedges so it won't set down on you . or make some tables out of them.

Stumps in the yard do make good tables, or chairs, or a dog grooming platform, workbench, etc. Be sure and cut them at the right height for reaching that beer from your yard chair.

Start by borrowing or renting a chainsaw . . .

We have had problems with wasps building nests in some old, rotten stumps, aside from ruining an otherwise adequate soccer field.

A good backhoe can take out some stumps, depending upon the size, species, and surrounding soil. Depends on where they are, what you want the area to look like afterwards, if you are willing to pay someone or rent equipment, etc.

Philbert

Start by borrowing or renting a chainsaw . . .

We have had problems with wasps building nests in some old, rotten stumps, aside from ruining an otherwise adequate soccer field.

A good backhoe can take out some stumps, depending upon the size, species, and surrounding soil. Depends on where they are, what you want the area to look like afterwards, if you are willing to pay someone or rent equipment, etc.

Philbert

Oh sure, you offer some sensible practical advice when we're all having fun. :)

ANFO !!

If I have to cut a stump I usually wedge pieces of sticks in the kerf to kep the stump from setting down or use a wedge or 2 I like to cut em if they are high before grinding makes grinding quicker when doing residential stump grinding

If you notch it for a guyline stump some shovel runner will be sure to come along and dig it out. He might also cover it up. Either way it'll dissapear.

Yes, because the guy on the shovel likes to clear off the landing area and throw chunks and cull logs over the hill to keep the rigging crew and forester alert, who are below getting things ready. There is one guy I would like to use for a bowling pin...

Not sure if this is the right place to ask...

I have a bunch of stumps left from felling trees and they are in my way. I usually cut them off about ground level, but that is a pita. Any tips or tricks from the pros to make it a little easier? Thanks

??? Why is cutting a tree of any reasonable diameter that much harder at ground level then at waist level?

I mean, other than the obvious diameter increase, I think its easier, I take a knee and relax when cutting them off at ground level.
IMG_20100901_175837.jpg

IMG_20100913_122417.jpg

IMG_20100913_113242.jpg

IMG_20100913_135435.jpg

2012-03-15_10-57-56_737.jpg

Just bore the bar in it and walk around it, cut from the inside out and you don't have to worry about dirt or rocks, because you are pulling the chip out, not shoving them in. I just stick the bar in and walk around them. Take a knee and relax while making beautiful low stumps that are easier to drive over for the skidder or dozer without tearing the undercarriage out. Plus it gives the skidder drivers more options of where they can go, as appose to leaving waist high stumps all over the place that look horrible, like you don't care what the place looks like when you are done. When I log, I try to leave the place looking like it was never "logged", that means cut the stump low so its hard to see and cut the top down so it rots faster and it out of sight quicker. You will find this mentality will lead to an increase in jobs because most every landowner hates what their place looks like after most logging has taken place, because they typically leave tops everywhere and the stumps are eye sores for the next 10 years. If you are going to cut the tree down, then cut it low enough that its gone when you cut it, otherwise you have left the most annoying part of it, the stump, as it still takes up the same foot print as before, with the stump, but you have noting of beauty to look at because the tree is gone, just poor taste I think.

But thats how a lot of loggers think ............ I just heard one say, "We're not landscapers." ....... LOL, this was shortly after he was complaining about not enough logging work around or that nobody wanted to have their place logged anymore ........ some people can't put two and two, together.

Not sure if you can see it in these photos, but you will get the idea. If you bore in and tip your bar down into the center and walk around them, you can actually cut one off at ground level on the outside edge, but the center will be below the ground, to the point, that you could fill the stump over with dirt and possibly never even see it afterwards. This stump is not cut at ground level, but you can sorta see the bowled shape to it. Thats a 066 with a 28" bar for comparison, that was as low as I could go and still missed cutting the center 4" or so.
IMG_20100930_151610.jpg

IMG_20100930_151623.jpg

IMG_20100930_153357.jpg

Sam

Back