Anybody else ever muffler mod a leaf blower?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshed

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score

31hLRuFODzL._SS400_.jpg

I officially don't own any stock 2-strokes anymore. Got a Craftsman Professional leaf blower for my birthday from the inlaws, been wanting one but didn't want to shell out the coin to buy one. It is the same as the landowner rated Husqvarna 125BX, chrome cylinder and solid forged crank like a pro saw. Lots of the parts have the husky logo on them also. Ran it for an hour right out of the box and it ran like total dog$h!t, way too rich and loaded up and died all the time unless ran at full throttle. Pulled the plug and then, wait for it......pulled the muffler and opened her up, what a difference! It was real simple, has a little access door with screen on the front of the muffler so modding was a breeze. Drilled out the factory opening to 3/8 and made another for good measure, now it runs like it should, lots more power and doesn't get quite as hot either. Factory spec is 10,000 RPM max, 8,000 recommended. Wife thinks I'm nuts, porting and polishing the weedeater put her over the edge. It's turning 12K and sounds like it is very near catastrophic failure but the plug looks good and it keeps on running. Now all my two-strokes: Husqvarna 346XP NE, 372XP, Echo SRM-251, and Craftsman Professional leaf blower are all modded to some extent. Any body else having trouble leaving well enough alone? This place changes you, no doubt in my mind. :)

Scott

Last edited:
no your not nuts. Im in the process of learning how to re-tune after a mod

that's great...my friend just bought a BG86 and he is going to bring it over later so we can open up the muffler.

A Tiny Tach or smart tach is your friend. Takes the guesswork out of it.

Scott

Back