Anybody up for a game of "guess-that-tree"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennsywoodburnr

supreme scrounger
Reaction score
I've got a tree here I can't I.D. There's a cluster of them growing near the shed and it seems every year they drop these little blueberry like seeds that rot away and expose a hard seed that almost look black and white with stripes on them. I tried looking them up in my tree book, but didn't get anywhere with that. So I thought I'd run it by the firewood pro's on here. Here's a couple pics:
The leaves have alternating clusters going up the branch.

100_2541.JPG

100_2540.JPG

100_2542.JPG This is a picture of the immature bark.
And the picture below is from a more mature tree. Same leaves and everything, just older.

100_2543.JPG

If you can get it split, it's about the middle of the hardwods. What little I have tried to hand split, I cussed a lot at it, and finally got it done with a hydraulic splitter. Don't see a lot of it in my area(which is ok with me!).

BTY: It's also called Tupelo or even Black Tupelo in some areas.

If you can get it split, it's about the middle of the hardwods. What little I have tried to hand split, I cussed a lot at it, and finally got it done with a hydraulic splitter. Don't see a lot of it in my area(which is ok with me!).

BTY: It's also called Tupelo or even Black Tupelo in some areas.

I know, think anyway, I have seen one around here, but I can't walk directly to it. The soil is limey here, maybe that is why there aren't many.

Latest posts

Back