Birch tree looking unhealthy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ldubs_12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We moved into our house about 3 years ago and since moving in our birch tree has looked unhealthy. It is closely located to a larger shade tree and it appears that the previous owners trimmed it fairly often to prevent contact with the house close by. The tree itself has very few leaves and I noticed one area pictured below that is starting to rot where a previous branch was removed. Is there anything I can do to get this birch tree to look more healthy?
20230607_100250.jpg

Attachments

• 20230607_100311.jpg
    20230607_100311.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
I agree with Del, the smaller leader is being choked out by the dominant stem. Can't be fixed, best to prune out. Being a gray birch these trees are short lived. Also a favorite host of the bronze birch borer.

I agree with Del, the smaller leader is being choked out by the dominant stem. Can't be fixed, best to prune out. Being a gray birch these trees are short lived. Also a favorite host of the bronze birch borer.
Thanks for the reply. I may just go away with the tree in the upcoming year based on the responses and start tending a new tree. I do enjoy birch trees so I may look for a suitable replacement.

It looks like some self girdling is going on at just above ground level. It's a shame that smaller leader wasn't removed a decade or more ago.
Interesting. I do see what you mean. Based on how the tree is looking and what appears to be very little I can do about it at this point, I will likely have it removed completely.

Latest posts

Back