Birch tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JL-2023

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a beautiful birch tree beside our house that we are starting to worry about. A few years back, it got what looked like Chaga on one of the trucks. Then last year or so, one of the other trunks started to have the bark split and it looks like it might be dead under what split out. I have attached pictures of the two trunks. The rest of the tree looks to be fine. I have seen lots of birch trees and I do know that they sometimes look fairly gnarly, but we are concerned that if the tree gets too compromised, it might come down on the house, power lines, or the vehicles that are parked beside it.

Looking for opinions as to the health of the tree. We would really hate to take it down but the consequences might be too high not to. Thank you for your help

JL

Attachments

• 20230809_174149(0) (Large).jpg
    20230809_174149(0) (Large).jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230809_174206 (Large).jpg
    20230809_174206 (Large).jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230809_174230 (Large).jpg
    20230809_174230 (Large).jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 2
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    724.3 KB · Views: 0
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    895.8 KB · Views: 0
Most likely Bronze Birch Borer, possibly what looks like some Nectria Canker with good reaction wood, and Inonotus obliquus (chaga).
Long term prognosis is not good. Some remedial action could be taken to possibly prolong life but I would just enjoy the tree for the tree for the time you have it.

Most likely Bronze Birch Borer, possibly what looks like some Nectria Canker with good reaction wood, and Inonotus obliquus (chaga).
Long term prognosis is not good. Some remedial action could be taken to possibly prolong life but I would just enjoy the tree for the tree for the time you have it.

Thank you for the diagnosis. We had a feeling it would not be a good one. If the tree was elsewhere in the yard, we would let it be and enjoy it, but where it is will just cause us anxiety! We are usually slow to get stuff done so we likely will see it thru the winter and hope for the best. The tree appears to be lively. Just worried that some wind or snow storm will test it

JL

It will, but I’ve never known White Birch to cause much damage.
Light wood that generally falls with little energy.

I see white birch differently. Due to the nature of the bark, it is hard to see rot high up in the tree. One can have bark-plus-dust which looks rather like a healthy bole. Cutting a 20" birch with rot up high is all kinds of dangerous.

While the pictured tree is small, I would call it done...and, get it down now. Even small trees which fall apart as you cut them can be bad.

Plant something which will out-live you. Sugar maple, perhaps?

Roy

Latest posts

Back