Anyone else stocking up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjett84724

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am stocking up on firewood while I can. I am stacking it everywhere I can find a spot. I am waiting for the first real cold snap to hit the area and then I will start posting flyers. It seems to me that the high oil prices are going to push a lot of people to burn wood for the next couple of winters. There is a market and not enough people cutting in my area. SWEET

I believe I have about a three year supply cut right now, I have thought about that also, I guess it doesn't matter to me if I sell any but if I have a chance too, I just might. I gave my wifes grandmother about 5 cord this spring because my pile is big. She always wants to pay for it and I always decline. She made a offer to me that I can cut out of her woods if I bring her a load now and then to her, but I've yet to have to exercise this option, but if I was to find a buyer I sure would. How are you planning on charging?

I cut for myself and a couple of family members. I do it on my terms at my pace. I dont ever want to have to have "the customer is always right" attitude when im dealing with firewood. Plus I do it to save money not make it. Kind of crazy but thats me.:dizzy:

You should make your wifes grandmother pay I make my 93

year old neighbor pay, everytime she has leaky pluming and calls for help.
I charge 20 Oatmeal Raisin Cookies per hour of work,

I know its high. but with the gas price and all.:rock:

Last edited:
year old neighbor pay, everytime she has leaky pluming and calls for help.
I charge 20 Oatmeal Raisin Cookies per hour of work,

I know its high. but with the gas price and all.:rock:

Your heartless!! 20 oatmeal cookies!LOL It bothers her not to pay, I think it makes her feel like a charity case, which she is not she is well set but I guess she came from a generation that feels you need to pay for everything unlike some of the people out there that feel you should help them because you have something and they don't. I always tell her when she tries to pay me that, I wanted to do something nice for someone today and that someone was you, don't take that away from me. :)

I've got enough wood for at least two years. I'm probably not going to sell any of it though. I just want to save on the propane bill. I might cut some more this fall after I split and store what I have cut.

Danny

I have about 25 face cord cut as of now. By the end of summer I should have around 75 face cord. It takes a lot of work when you are doing it all by yourself but it feels damn good to watch that propane truck drive by.:givebeer:

Yup let her pay, Cookies, Candy, Jams, jellys,

Your heartless!! 20 oatmeal cookies!LOL It bothers her not to pay, I think it makes her feel like a charity case, which she is not she is well set but I guess she came from a generation that feels you need to pay for everything unlike some of the people out there that feel you should help them because you have something and they don't. I always tell her when she tries to pay me that, I wanted to do something nice for someone today and that someone was you, don't take that away from me. :)

Home made bread yummmmy

:blob2:

I have about 25 face cord cut as of now. By the end of summer I should have around 75 face cord. It takes a lot of work when you are doing it all by yourself but it feels damn good to watch that propane truck drive by.:givebeer:

I must know, what the heck is a face cord?

I am going to charge $250 a cord for a mix of pine, cedar and oak. I don't plan on making a lot of money, just enough to cover my expenses for cutting my own. Maybe buy another gun or two.

I was going to sell some, but now I think I will horde it to myself, since society seems on the brink of collapse with oil prices. Better to save it for the years to come, I think they will be very lean...

I have 7 cords cut/split and stacked. Have 4 cords in rounds in a pile cut since last thursday. hoping to finish up that house site by the end of the weekend. That will likely be three or four more cords for me and the same for my buddie. So by next week it wil be 14 or 15 cords with 8 left to split. Would like to sell some but might just keep it in case I get lazy next year.

Its how you measure wood when you want quantities to sound much more impressive. 25 sounds much bigger than 8.:chainsaw: Typically 1/3 of a real cord, but it has so many permutations, it is hard to say.

Cool, I'm going to start telling people if have 60 face cord. Sounds confusing.
I have about 19 cord from a very rough estimate on dump trailer loads that i cut this spring, I have about that same size split and stacked in the barn. I have to start getting it split and stacked and in the barn before it goes to hel. This is a pic my wife took last Sunday when I was screwing around at the house.
attachment.php

I just had my propane tank filled up today. It's been two years since I had it filled last. It held 191 gallons. That's for cooking and heating the house when the wood stove would keep it too hot. Based on my current usage the tank of propane would empty out in about four years. Gasoline is a killer now but at least I get out of most of my heating costs.

Danny

I think if you keep it dry, I mean no water, it will last for years. So cut away and store it dry. I've been considering more storage space as well, but I have to manage the 10 acre woodlot sustainably.

Bill

I am stocking up on firewood while I can. I am stacking it everywhere I can find a spot. I am waiting for the first real cold snap to hit the area and then I will start posting flyers. It seems to me that the high oil prices are going to push a lot of people to burn wood for the next couple of winters. There is a market and not enough people cutting in my area. SWEET

Yep, I've had the same idea. I've been staking wood everywhere I can find a spot at my house. My pile in the back yard is completely stacked full so I've been staking it around the house, behind bushes, and anywhere I can find a free spot. I even convinced my mother-in-law to allow me to stack some in her yard. My trailer is also stacked full of logs I need to cut too. No idea where I'm going to put them. I'll burn some of it myself and I'll sell some of it this fall.

I'd cut more, but I've run out of places to stack it!

Get ready for all heck to break loose!

I agree with HUSKYMAN, stock up while you can.
Oil just went up $5 a barrel again today.

I just got back into heating with wood again this past winter because I was heating with fuel oil and it took the jump first. Everyone else is going to feel the hit this winter(propane, natural gas) because their prices hadn't gone up until now. Some don't even realize it yet because its summer. If I were you firewood sellers I'd just hold on until mid winter because you'll make boat loads more when all those people say "SCREW IT! I'm heating with wood again!" Trust me, you will make at least $100 more a cord. Wait and see.

I just hope our economy can handle it. I hate to be a pessimist but I feel another Great Depression coming on if we don't find an alternative fast. Until then I'm going to run the crap out my Stihl!!

I wish I had the water you guys back east have. I have 8 acres and only two trees worth cutting on it. I will start planting little ones this year and hope they grow enough for the kids to harvest. We had a fire go through the area three years ago and it killed a lot of trees. It burned the cheat grass, singed the bark and now there is a lot of standing dead in the area. Me and one other guy, that I know of, are cutting in the oak. He seems to be out cutting me:censored: Anyway, I will keep plugging away and stock up for myself and anyone who will pay my prices.

Cool, I'm going to start telling people if have 60 face cord. Sounds confusing.
I have about 19 cord from a very rough estimate on dump trailer loads that i cut this spring, I have about that same size split and stacked in the barn. I have to start getting it split and stacked and in the barn before it goes to hel. This is a pic my wife took last Sunday when I was screwing around at the house.

Ha,ha,ha....Woodmaster! Got too love it! :clap: Nice that you take care of the old folks. I try too and if there's any exchange, it's usually barter. I have a chain grinder so I do my neightbors chains in exchange for eggs or garden stuff. I'll keep plugging away at the wood as long as I can find it reasonalbly close by. (fuel costs). I'm working on 2010-11 right now. Here's a load (one of three) I got yesterday of Hatmatack (Eastern Larch). This stuff is grade A cookstove wood of the finest kind. Close too. The tree was on my property and dead a few years standing. I saved an 8 foot butt log for milling (it makes fabulous lumber) into beams. They use this wood for docks and pilings cause it lasts forever underwater.
attachment.php
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back