Anyone else stocking up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the looks of the pith on that larch you are going to have some stress in your milled boards. Good luck.

Can't sell it!

Yes I'm stocking up!

I can't bring my self to sell it as long as I have dry place to store it. I give some away to an older lady at our chruch from time to time. A rik/face cord sells between $50-$80. It saves me $100 a week in natural gas in the winter. So I would have to sell it for $100 a rik/face cord just to cover what it would save me. Not to mention my time spent cutting and splitting that I could have spent crappie fishing or hunting.

Having wood stored is a true hedge fund to offset the price of natural gas, heating oil and in some way I'm not smart enough to explain inflation. Crude oil hit $140 a barrel today.

Looking at a wood pile is like looking at a savings account drawing 100% interest as it cures.

My firewood is mine all mine!:chainsaw:

I don't know.?I'm still waiting for that "GLOBAL WARMING" that Al gore keeps talking about to kick in any time soon:dizzy:

Never had seen Hatmatack before...look kinda like 'ole bull pine from here in Va. is it considered a hrdwood/softwood?

Hatmatack is new to me to. Larch, European larch, or Tamarack (maybe a typo – I pull of some great ones). The European larch I plated grows like corn. It is impressive to see or almost watch.

i been getting what i can also. i cant do it everyweekend but i try to as often as possible. hopefully tomorrow i can get out and get some stuff cut up and add it to the splittin pile. i just feel funny if i dont run the saw at least once a week after 2 weeks i just have to go cut something :chainsaw: :)

From the looks of the pith on that larch you are going to have some stress in your milled boards. Good luck.

Well actually the tree was shaped like a candleabra. It had been topped for view many years ago and grew 4 big curved tops on about a 10 foot butt log. What you are seeing in the truck are the tops. The butt log is pretty straight. We'll see though.

Never had seen Hatmatack before...look kinda like 'ole bull pine from here in Va. is it considered a hrdwood/softwood?

Though the tamarack tree resembles other evergreens, it is actually a deciduous conifer, meaning that it turns color and sheds it’s needles every fall. It's on a par with birch as a heating wood but is great for a cookstove. It lights fast and burns hot. It also has the strongest wood of any of the conifers. Was used extensively for shipbuilding since it's nearly indestructable under water. Very good lumber and almost looks pressure treated (greenish tint) off the saw. The Larch beetle put an end too the commercial lumber viability back in the 1930s. They are making a bit of comeback now.

Hatmatack is new to me to. Larch, European larch, or Tamarack (maybe a typo – I pull of some great ones). The European larch I plated grows like corn. It is impressive to see or almost watch.

Hatmatack is an Abenaki word for ‘wood used for snowshoes'. It's Tamerack or Eastern Larch, but up here in Maine...Hatmatack Ayup!

Last edited:
I don't know.?I'm still waiting for that "GLOBAL WARMING" that Al gore keeps talking about to kick in any time soon:dizzy:

Bullcrap, bullcrap, bullcrap. Tell me one thing. Why do the ice caps melt on mars when we have warmer temps on earth? Solar flares anybody? Another thing, NASA is always looking for water on mars. Why don't they just land their stupid little rover on the ice cap. Duh, ice= water.

Everybody's stocking up. I'm set for the next two years, but I'm always on the lookout for good scores. It doesn't always have to be a killer load either, cause it all adds up. I've got one good sized red oak, which didn't leaf out this year, that is conveniently about 25' from my woodshed. Won't have to worry about transportation costs with that one. :clap:

Last night I delivered a splitter on the way home. The customer buys wood in log lengths, and was planning on getting another load in so he will be covered for four years out. He expressed some concern about how the supply/pricing of wood will be affected by all of the additional people who are switching to wood heat. But we had to laugh, because all of us who are stocking up more than we usually would creates the same pull on the supply/demand equation.

Bullcrap, bullcrap, bullcrap. Tell me one thing. Why do the ice caps melt on mars when we have warmer temps on earth? Solar flares anybody? Another thing, NASA is always looking for water on mars. Why don't they just land their stupid little rover on the ice cap. Duh, ice= water.

They didland it on the ice cap and did find ice.

Saw a report in the paper today that the N pole may be ice free this summer. Odds of it happening are given as 1 in 4. That hasn't happened in recorded history.

Harry K

Last edited:
Brought some pine home today

Never thought I'd waste my time with it but my fear of oil and gas prices have prompted me to grab anything I can get (for free that is!!!!). Used to stick my nose up @ that sort of stuff, not anymore!! Will just have to clean out the chimney more often.:greenchainsaw:

Sustainable ?

I've got 9.5 Acres, 7+ of it thick, mostly Hardwood. I switched to an OWB for a house which has used approx. 1400-1500 Gal oil per year. I also have free softwood coming on occasion from a land clearing friend. If managed properly should this be enough for years to come? I need to thin out my lot anyhow. Also there are many massive oaks and many 100' plus white pines. I have been to some woodlot management sites and have some idea how to properly thin it out. Any ideas or info (your own experiences) would be more than helpful. Thank you in advance!!!:chainsaw:

Saw a report in the paper today that the N pole may be ice free this summer. Odds of it happening are given as 1 in 4. That hasn't happened in recorded history.

Harry K

Another thing. The ice in Greenland melts and we find Viking vinyards. What did they use to get there from Iceland.... hmmmm was it windpower? Wake up people we couldn't change the earths temp if we wanted to. We are not as important as we think we are.

Not

:jawdrop:

Harry K

ill put $50,000 on NOT.Ever notice on how the news is always predicting things that just NEVER EVER happen? scardie cats is what it is.Gore is making a ton of money using this bull//// anyway,dont be afraid of the dark big boy.......this ole ball has been around for about 4 1/2 billion years and has seen the likes of globel fires,earthquakes,continental shifts,ice ages,,solar blast,and other things that we, mere humans,probably couldnt understand.

Last edited:
Bout time,,,, I tell the kids O'Well

If it get hot its gets hot
If it gets cold it gets cold
if it get tired of us owell,

The rock will do what the rock will do, living in North Dakota I dont mind a bit if it gets a warmer :givebeer: and lets watch and see what happens:cheers:

If it get hot its gets hot
If it gets cold it gets cold
if it get tired of us owell,

The rock will do what the rock will do, living in North Dakota I dont mind a bit if it gets a warmer :givebeer: and lets watch and see what happens:cheers:

I've given alot of consideration to your post........

I agree :givebeer: is a great concept!

Bill

This is not directed at any specific person.

I am amazed at all the people I hear lately, both on the Internet and in my own life talking about the issue of climate change like its some kind of hoax. Credible scientist's that disputes the fact that we are changing earths climate are all but nonexistent yet many people insist on believing otherwise. Its like a "don't try to confuse me with facts and truth I've already made up my mind ahead of time" mentality and I believe this close mindedness is what got us into this predicament in the first place. Furthermore it is what has kept us in this perpetual state of environmental quandary.

Why do people who disagree with the "rhetoric" of thousands of the worlds most credible scientists feel the need to be so dismissive of these claims as well as make frequent attempts to belittle anyone who shares those beliefs. Is it so hard to comprehend that after a century of the worlds population, currently over six billion people burning as much fossil fuels as they can possibly dig out of the ground and subsequently releasing greenhouse gasses that we have changed the climate a little bit?

At the risk of overgeneralizing I most often find it is the forty and older crowd that is critical of the belief in this matter and it's existence. I wonder why? perhaps it is because the action or inaction of this generation is part of what created this mess. ignoring early warning signs and the few radical "cook" scientists years ago. Is it because admitting there is a problem would mean accepting blame for their part in this mess at a time in life when it is too late for them to help fix it. Maybe it is none of the above. Either way most likely it is not them who will still be here in fifty years to see how wrong they are, and that no amount of denying a problem exists will fix it or its consequences.

Its how you measure wood when you want quantities to sound much more impressive. 25 sounds much bigger than 8.:chainsaw: Typically 1/3 of a real cord, but it has so many permutations, it is hard to say.

its a 1/2 cord of wood it makes it sounds like a lot he he tom trees:jawdrop:

Never thought I'd waste my time with it but my fear of oil and gas prices have prompted me to grab anything I can get (for free that is!!!!). Used to stick my nose up @ that sort of stuff, not anymore!! Will just have to clean out the chimney more often.:greenchainsaw:

Me too.

Had some Tulip Poplar that was dropped over a year ago. Blocked it, split it, and plan to burn it this fall. Not one of my favorites, but will still put out a little heat.

Back