Anyone else stocking up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not directed at any specific person.

I am amazed at all the people I hear lately, both on the Internet and in my own life talking about the issue of climate change like its some kind of hoax. Credible scientist's that disputes the fact that we are changing earths climate are all but nonexistent yet many people insist on believing otherwise. Its like a "don't try to confuse me with facts and truth I've already made up my mind ahead of time" mentality and I believe this close mindedness is what got us into this predicament in the first place. Furthermore it is what has kept us in this perpetual state of environmental quandary.

Why do people who disagree with the "rhetoric" of thousands of the worlds most credible scientists feel the need to be so dismissive of these claims as well as make frequent attempts to belittle anyone who shares those beliefs. Is it so hard to comprehend that after a century of the worlds population, currently over six billion people burning as much fossil fuels as they can possibly dig out of the ground and subsequently releasing greenhouse gasses that we have changed the climate a little bit?

At the risk of overgeneralizing I most often find it is the forty and older crowd that is critical of the belief in this matter and it's existence. I wonder why? perhaps it is because the action or inaction of this generation is part of what created this mess. ignoring early warning signs and the few radical "cook" scientists years ago. Is it because admitting there is a problem would mean accepting blame for their part in this mess at a time in life when it is too late for them to help fix it. Maybe it is none of the above. Either way most likely it is not them who will still be here in fifty years to see how wrong they are, and that no amount of denying a problem exists will fix it or its consequences.

I guess I should take insult to your comment “forty and older crowd”
I’m not sure what “crowd” you’re in but let me throw some numbers at you,

My gas use is about 10 gal a month, could be averaged out to 150 gal per year.

My propane use,, water heater and cook stove only, and from time to time when -40 comes to keep the pipes from freezing the gas heater will go on less then 50 gal of propane per year.

Electric, up to date florescent lighting of which I think is a bad thing too many folks just throw them in the trash; land fills will become toxic waste dumps for the grand kids :(. Not to mention they don’t work below -20.

That’s about 10.000 gallons of fuel if counted from the day I was born.

Myself I don’t think that’s a very big foot print.

Now if my memory serves me right “greenhouse gasses” are saved by picking up and cutting down dead elm trees and burning as firewood because if my memory serves me, more greenhouse gasses are released from wood when left to decay. :)

Don’t get me wrong the forty and older crowd I know could careless about the climate change, just being wasteful seems like a waste. Were not perfect and it isn’t my job to watch and complain, BUT I never have and never will be categorize “forty and older crowd” :censored:

Count your numbers, are your greenhouse gasses enough to kill the planet?

ndtree

I don't think we will ever "kill the planet" just ourselves. My problem lies with people's flat out refusal to admit that there is an ongoing climate change and that we are likely facilitating it. I agree that burning wood is "carbon neutral" this is why my previous post referred to fossil fuel being burned. However it is not just the amount of gas you burn yourself that makes up your carbon footprint. everything you buy from shoes to groceries also required fossil fuels to get it to you as well as the use of electricity to make and package these goods.

please don't get me wrong I am as guilty as any one else when it comes to carbon emissions and I too do what I can to minimize my impact on our environment. I in no way meant that people over a certain age create more of a footprint than younger people but I do see them generally more resistant to the idea of climate change.

Just had my busiest June with around 480 bulk bags sold where I would normally be lucky to sell 50. gotta put the fishin on hold now n split more wood to catch up for winter.

Matt the forty and over crowd are old enough to have seen cycles in the climate. They remember the impending doom of the coming ice age back in the 70's. In the last year we have lost the .6 of a degree that we had gained over the past 60. As a matter of fact we have been in a cooling trend for the last 8 years. There are a lot of interesting facts out there for those interested. Like for instance Al Gore's home consumed more electricity than more than 200 average America homes last year. And by the way I am 31 years old. There was a time when you could barely find a scientist that believed that the world was round. Carbon is one of the basic building blocks of life. It is plant food!

323687828.jpg

That was last month. Pile is easily twice that size now. Hope I get it all split before winter.

ndtree

I don't think we will ever "kill the planet" just ourselves. My problem lies with people's flat out refusal to admit that there is an ongoing climate change and that we are likely facilitating it. I agree that burning wood is "carbon neutral" this is why my previous post referred to fossil fuel being burned. However it is not just the amount of gas you burn yourself that makes up your carbon footprint. everything you buy from shoes to groceries also required fossil fuels to get it to you as well as the use of electricity to make and package these goods.

please don't get me wrong I am as guilty as any one else when it comes to carbon emissions and I too do what I can to minimize my impact on our environment. I in no way meant that people over a certain age create more of a footprint than younger people but I do see them generally more resistant to the idea of climate change.

I've heard a global warming scientist refer to wood burning as "carbon neutral" as well.

I don't understand this concept.
Rotting wood is going to give off CO2 that will be taken up by plants.
if we burned all the plants at one time there would be no leaves to take up the CO2. How is this "carbon neutral"?
And yes the baby boomer crowd has been most negatively affected by the 20th century than any other generation as a group, but each individual still deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Good Point NDtreehugger, burn all the fossil fuels and where will we be? I'm guessing just a bit closer to oceanfront property.

Bill

Last edited:
plant some trees to work on that "carbon footprint". Cut up and burn the downed ones. Conservation this year will be my focus on home heating

Everyone is in trouble!

I finally sat down with my kid and he showed me how to post pictures. I don't know if anyone cares but I've been trying to stock up but spraying soybeans and other farm and family stuff have kept me busy. I did get out this week and took some pictures. Here goes. Hope this works (kids gettin' upset at helping all the time).

WoodCutting004.jpg

WoodCutting003.jpg

WoodCutting190.jpg

WoodCutting197.jpg

Nice setup! That sure makes things go nice when your not having to bust your :censored: s handling each piece 8 times.

This is not directed at any specific person.

I am amazed at all the people I hear lately, both on the Internet and in my own life talking about the issue of climate change like its some kind of hoax. Credible scientist's that disputes the fact that we are changing earths climate are all but nonexistent yet many people insist on believing otherwise. Its like a "don't try to confuse me with facts and truth I've already made up my mind ahead of time" mentality and I believe this close mindedness is what got us into this predicament in the first place. Furthermore it is what has kept us in this perpetual state of environmental quandary.

Why do people who disagree with the "rhetoric" of thousands of the worlds most credible scientists feel the need to be so dismissive of these claims as well as make frequent attempts to belittle anyone who shares those beliefs. Is it so hard to comprehend that after a century of the worlds population, currently over six billion people burning as much fossil fuels as they can possibly dig out of the ground and subsequently releasing greenhouse gasses that we have changed the climate a little bit?

At the risk of overgeneralizing I most often find it is the forty and older crowd that is critical of the belief in this matter and it's existence. I wonder why? perhaps it is because the action or inaction of this generation is part of what created this mess. ignoring early warning signs and the few radical "cook" scientists years ago. Is it because admitting there is a problem would mean accepting blame for their part in this mess at a time in life when it is too late for them to help fix it. Maybe it is none of the above. Either way most likely it is not them who will still be here in fifty years to see how wrong they are, and that no amount of denying a problem exists will fix it or its consequences.

Pretty much agree with you, Matt. I'll add that the folks who can't believe in human influenced climate chage are the same people who thought gas would be a buck a gallon forever and that we would win the war in Vietnam. However, as a member of the over 60 generation I'll also point out that many, many people under 40 don't think about much of anything except immediate gratifications. Broad generalizations usually don't work too well.

Yeah, I'm stocking up. Bought 300 acres of hardwood forestland. That ought to hold me. We might also think about helping out the neighbors who happen to be freezing in the dark.

Pretty much agree with you, Matt. I'll add that the folks who can't believe in human influenced climate chage are the same people who thought gas would be a buck a gallon forever and that we would win the war in Vietnam. However, as a member of the over 60 generation I'll also point out that many, many people under 40 don't think about much of anything except immediate gratifications. Broad generalizations usually don't work too well.

Yeah, I'm stocking up. Bought 300 acres of hardwood forestland. That ought to hold me. We might also think about helping out the neighbors who happen to be freezing in the dark.

You're a smart guy Old Chuck. I've been on the hunt for a nice piece of woodlot myself. 300 acres is a big lot and should serve you well for years too come. Just using proper managment technique, you'll have all the wood you and many members of your family will need. :cheers:

My problem has been finding one close too where I live on the coast. Not a high percentage of hardwood up here until you move inland some and even then.............

You're a smart guy Old Chuck. I've been on the hunt for a nice piece of woodlot myself. 300 acres is a big lot and should serve you well for years too come. Just using proper managment technique, you'll have all the wood you and many members of your family will need. :cheers:

My problem has been finding one close too where I live on the coast. Not a high percentage of hardwood up here until you move inland some and even then.............

Yes, down east neighbor, we are aiming for a forever legacy insofar as one short life can make that happen. Our foresters are on the job this week doing an inventory and making up a forest management plan. We got lucky with this piece. It's only nine miles from home and easy to get to.

Good luck in your hunt. I've always admired your sig, "Nature always bats last."

Last edited:
My home requires a bit more than 3 full cord a year.

Our 10 acres should sustain that if managed correctly!

Good luck with the forest management plan. Mine was a little over whelming. So options are placed on the table at once, but it is a great feeling seeing your name on one. The fanstasic thing about the plan is it opens up federal programs to you. Do not over look you local USDA office. They only thing I can say bad about my CRP contract is – it ended. It paid the taxes for 10 years.

THE SKY IS FALLING
THE SKY IS FALLING

We were going into an ice age not too long ago. I'd drive home from work listening to statements like Atlanta Ga. is going to be as cold as Detroit in a few years.

There is global temperature changing but it's not the humans that are causing it. When the earth goes into an ice age there is global cooling. When the earth comes out of an ice age there is global warming. How many times has these things happened? Check the amounts and what gases that Mt. Saint Helens put in the air and see if us humans can match it.

Al Gore is getting richer from the gullible people who hang onto every word that he says. He can pollute because he is rich and has said that he can buy someone elses carbon credits.

I'm 53 so I guess that I fit into that over 40 crowd. I can't tell you how many times the genius scientists have changed their mind on things. Don't use natural fats bacause it'll kill you. Don't use transfats cause it'll kill you. The list goes on and on.

I don't feel the least bit guilty for using what energy that I do because I don't waste very much. I believe in keeping our environment clean. It seems that the under 40 crowd drives around needlessly more than the older folks do. The under 40 crowd is a general statement and does not refer to all of you that are in that catagory. There are responsible people of all ages.

Better get you a crosscut saw and a good supply of axes because if Gore and the other Commies have their way you won't be needing that air polluting chain saw.

Saw a report in the paper today that the N pole may be ice free this summer. Odds of it happening are given as 1 in 4. That hasn't happened in recorded history.

Perhaps it hasn't happened "in recorded history" because nobody bothered to go to the North Pole 1000 or 2000 years ago and write about it. And they didn't have satellite photography to take a look.

Greenland used to be a lot warmed than it is today. Who knows if the NP was ice free back then?

I also take this as meaning that there may be open water at the NP, but it doesn't say that the ARTIC will be ice free, does it? Perhaps a bit of sensationalism?

Back on the topic, I have more wood cut and split than I have before (about five cords) and I hope to get several more cut for the following winter. Tempting to either try to get several years ahead or maybe sell some if prices do go up locally.

Ken

Yes, I cant explain why though. I have had a few saws for years. I have burned wood exclusively for about the same amount of time as I have had saws. In the past I/we would go out a few weekends in the Spring every year and get in what we needed for the winter. Most of it would be ready by the time we started the woodstove. The rest would be ready as it was needed.
This year I started earlier bringing in as much as I could put on the PU as often as possible. Even replaced the 1/2 ton wood hauler to 3/4 ton to be able to bring back full cords. The extra fuel used is still less then double the # of trips.
Now, with one less car in the driveway and not hearing the sQuawkweeng about how the wood stack looks, I get to use her old spot in the drive for more wood. Good thing too, this last year proved I need to keep more wood onhand. We started earlier and burned longer this Winter then I remembered in the past. What is usually 3 1/2 months turned into nearly 5 months of burning. Not that it seemed any colder but just got cold earlier and lasted longer in this area. I have been holding back on clearing some of the dead stuff from fence rows for "just in case" wood. Just in case we use up or sell out what we have on hand for this year.
What I sell I split with my 2 teen sons that go out and help cut/load/split/stack wood. It gives them some spending money and a feeling of accomplishment when they get paid for their work. Heating with wood also makes them think about why we put on extra pieces at night or why we are saving the best wood for Jan-Feb. If we burn the best first what will be left for when it is really needed. Similar to saving for a rainy day, we are saving for the really cold ones.
Also with the ex gone the 3 of us have more time for bonding and to pass on some of the knowledge and experience I have wanted to give them. Time I never had before because of her endless "honey-do" list.

Wood cutting will help make men of them. Men need foresight and the ability to provide for their families. If they don't want to sweat to do that they better find a job that makes enough money to hire someone else to do it for them.

It just makes good sense to have a little more then you need. But not to take more then you will use.

I've heard a global warming scientist refer to wood burning as "carbon neutral" as well.

I don't understand this concept.
Rotting wood is going to give off CO2 that will be taken up by plants.
if we burned all the plants at one time there would be no leaves to take up the CO2. How is this "carbon neutral"?
And yes the baby boomer crowd has been most negatively affected by the 20th century than any other generation as a group, but each individual still deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Good Point NDtreehugger, burn all the fossil fuels and where will we be? I'm guessing just a bit closer to oceanfront property.

Bill

The time you add the fuel to plant the trees, trim an thin the forest & harvest them haul the timber and process it it's a long way from carbon neutral.

The time you add the fuel to plant the trees, trim an thin the forest & harvest them haul the timber and process it it's a long way from carbon neutral.

It might not be perfectly carbon neutral. It is better than dialing up a supplier for another deliver of heating oil. Having him deliver old carbon that was trapped below the surface long ago for reasons not readily apparent to us at this time.

That is unless you are ordering completely carbon neutral BD from your supplier AND the phone company uses 100% of its electricty from sustainable resourses.

I am more worried about depleting our oxygen supply by using fossil fuels by reintroducing old carbon to the atmosphere. Using 5-6 gallons of fuel to cut, process and transport the wood needed to heat your home for a month is better than the 60 - 100 gallons of FF that would be required otherwise to get the same heat.

Last edited:
Back