Anyone ever deal with Salsco Products

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squid327WFD3

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was in Cheshire CT today picking up a load of pallet wood to burn at the fire school from a local company and i stoped down the road at a place that had a few PTO chippers outside that were being crated. the sign on the company was Salsco

i did a google search on them and found out that they make all kinds of landscaping paving and municipal products they have been there for 25 years and never knew it

www.salsco.com

just curious
Thanks
Dan

Salsco usually has a booth at the trade shows. I am sure they will be at the ISA show this week and the TCIA show in November. I have looked at their chippers at the shows, but never saw one run.

14" Salsco

A Friend of mine runs a salco. He does heavy bucket work and light land clearing (mostly for septic systems, but the occasional house lot) The chipper is of very robust construction, and jon has had no problems with it. I think he bought it used with just under 2k hours and has been running it for two years now. They have some nice options, like this real heavy grate in the floor of the infeed chute, it helps to filter out dirt before it goes through the knives. Also a side access panel for adjusting the anvil (so you don't have to crawl under the feedwheels with the feeler gauge clamped in your teeth to adjust the anvil gap). The chips are not as fine as a bandit but smaller than the morbarks i've seen.

My overall impression is that they are a small customer oriented company with a well built product that has Incorporated a number of good ideas. Their "engineering" is probably not as thorough as bandit or vemeer, but is a big step up from woodchuck.

as an aside, how does the size of chip affect the amount of stuff you can fit in your truck?

The dealing I had with Sal Rizzo was not so pleasureable - He told me that his 127 HP 13 inch Machine would out produce and out work any chipper on the market and throw chips 90 feet. I made a bet with him to bring the machine to MI and I would have 20 Tree Companies at a demo for him .. If his machine was so great he could sell a bunch . I then told him what I run .. A vermeer 1800xl , Morbark 2400 and a new Cone Head . He has yet to return any of my calls.

Well I saw the coneheads run this week... And I like them so much I've ordered 2. A 12" discone with 90hp Kubota, and a 330hp 22" machine with all the options. In fact, I liked them so much, I'm going to distribute them in the UK. I cannot stress how good the build quality on these machines are. for those of you who like morbark machines, Earl Smith, the engineer who designed and built these things, designed and built the original disc chipper the 'eager beaver'. he ran morbarks chipper line for 27 years before setting out to build his own machines. Get a demo on one, they are superb.

Dan, the 12'' discone will chip 15'' no problem. to prove it, tom and earl, the company owners, took me out with the DC 50 and put a 14'' piece of oak that took 5 men to lift- straight through no probs. I video'd them doing it, and that machine was sold.
The 565 I'm having is a conehead chiper too. the discone is just cheaper to manufacture than the two cone design, and yes there is a bigger discone coming. the difference with the 2 cone design is the huge cutting width. the 565 i'm having will cut 34'' wide...

The 20'' unit would have been a 510, the one i've ordered is a 565. we took a nearly finished one out of the factory, and the guys felled an open grown 20'' pine tree and reversed the machine into it. with a 250 john deere engine, it took about 90 seconds too eat the whole thing. being open grown, it had a lot of limbs, but it just chewed away on each limb till it broke down and went through. I'm going to post the video's on Ekkas world.

Thor's Hammer said:
Earl Smith, the engineer who designed and built these things, designed and built the original disc chipper the 'eager beaver'. he ran morbarks chipper line for 27 years before setting out to build his own machines. Get a demo on one, they are superb.

I met Earl years ago and complained to Morbark about the poor discharge of the Model 17 I had bought. It was about the worst performing chipper I had ever owned. The whole problem was it had no airflow to push out the light weight stuff and would clog the chute about 5 or more times a day when doing palms. I will check these chippers out at the TCI. The only chipper I ever kept more than 4 years is my Gravely 395, which I purchased in 1997. As much as I like that chipper, I am going to sell it soon. I am always looking for better and improved chipper designs.

I know what you mean about the model 17... it barely has enough oomph to get the chips to fall out the end of the chute :p

the discone has a fan built in the end of the drum. even at low revs it still blasts the chips out. as for the big model, that can fill a semi trailer from the back doors.

Here is the new dc 50 chipper.
attachment_26686.php

Last edited:
That is a great looking machine, congratulations! The eager beaver is the dustiest machine I’ve ever worked with, does the disc cone put a lot of dust in the air?

Very little dust that I could see. The cone turns realatively slowly compared to conventional chippers. that way you get high torque for your cutting, and the fan gets rid of the chips easily. heres a picture of those chips. This was some fresh oak, so i suppose you wont get much dust from that.

Last edited:
nice looking chips. they are bigger than my brush bandit makes. does any one know if big chips pack tighter than small chips, or vice versa?

Thor, is tom jones really a national hero in wales? i climber i knew from ireland said as much one time.

They are bigger chips. the drum cuts quite slowly, taking a bigger bite of wood. you can slow the the feed down to make smaller chips. Packing the chips depends on the ability of the chipper to blow the chips out of the chute, and the discone had no trouble blasting them out. I have a Bandit 250xp, and i'd say the DC50 is an easy equal to that machine.

As to Tom Jones, is'nt he a hero everywhere?

CoreyTMorine said:
does any one know if big chips pack tighter than small chips, or vice versa?

On stuff like palm fronds or certain kinds of stringy wood type trees, my Gravely will put in TWICE as much as my Woodsman. When doing coconut palms and chipping with my Woodsman, I can get the trimmings from about 17 trees in my 10 yd. box. With the Gravely I can get 30.

Here is a photo of the Gravely and Bandit coconut palm chips side by side.
The Gravely is on the left. The Woodsman palm chips are twice the size of the Bandit's.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment_21379.php

Here is a photo of the Gravely on woody material. I wish someone would make a 18 inch machine that could chip like this.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment_21378.php

Very interesting, I stumbled on to this site and I know who the Koa Man is.
tree' guesses on who I am?

1st hint: i am younger

Back