Anyone ever use Meeco Red Devil FireEx chimney fire suppressant?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokee

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking of ordering one of these just incase I ever have a fire. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have on hand. I see there's another product called Chimfex which is similar to a flare. You basically fire it up like a flare and put it in the box. The only problem with the chimfex "flair" is that it says not to put it in the fire. I guess that's okay if you're not running hot with a lot of wood but my luck the box would be full, hot and glowing. FireEx is just a bag of what looks like black cat litter that you just toss into the fire and shut down the O2 supply. I've never experienced a chimney fire, don't think I ever want to either, but I'm one of those guys that like to have a plan for everything and a chimney fire's something I don't want to be unprepared for.

I'm thinking of ordering one of these just incase I ever have a fire. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have on hand. I see there's another product called Chimfex which is similar to a flare. You basically fire it up like a flare and put it in the box. The only problem with the chimfex "flair" is that it says not to put it in the fire. I guess that's okay if you're not running hot with a lot of wood but my luck the box would be full, hot and glowing. FireEx is just a bag of what looks like black cat litter that you just toss into the fire and shut down the O2 supply. I've never experienced a chimney fire, don't think I ever want to either, but I'm one of those guys that like to have a plan for everything and a chimney fire's something I don't want to be unprepared for.

No, but I like your Avatar! :msp_thumbup:

There was just a thread about this in the last few weeks, or it came up in a thread anyways. I think somebody said that a regular old dry chemical (ABC) fire extinguisher blown right in your firebox works as well as anything. Also I think a bag of...baking soda, I think it was, thrown in the stove, is supposed to accomplish the same.

Last edited:
There was just a thread about this in the last few weeks, or it came up in a thread anyways. I think somebody said that a regular old dry chemical (ABC) fire extinguisher blown right in your firebox works as well as anything. Also I think a bag of...baking soda, I think it was, thrown in the stove, is supposed to accomplish the same.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find it. As always, I did a search before I posted and nothing came up for "FireEx".

At the fire dept we get old expired extinguishers and take the dry chem and put in plastic bags and drop them down the chimney

I just hope your avatar and wife aren't one in the same. I like her glasses! I'll shut up now.

lol. No not the wife but they look alike. :msp_biggrin: She wouldn't go for the cleve shot so I went with Mila.

I didn't notice there were glasses in the avatar. lol

Whew! That's good. I look for your name just to look at those glasses...It doesn't matter what you post. LOL!!!!

Whew! That's good. I look for your name just to look at those glasses...It doesn't matter what you post. LOL!!!!

How's things in J'town? I'm from Uniontown originally... I use to race bikes in J'town in the early 80's. I really enjoy that area - love fly fishing Laurel Hill Creek.

Small world...Johnstown is still here. Where did you race, Cernics? I did a little, myself...hillclimbs and dirt drags. The Lancaster area is nice as well. I have a friend or 2 from there...Elizabethtown, Chickees Rock, Fall and Spring Carlisle, York NSRA Show.

Small world...Johnstown is still here. Where did you race, Cernics? I did a little, myself...hillclimbs and dirt drags. The Lancaster area is nice as well. I have a friend or 2 from there...Elizabethtown, Chickees Rock, Fall and Spring Carlisle, York NSRA Show.

I raced BMX somewhere there. It's been a while so I don't remember exactly where. We were just out that way and took the kids to the Johnstown Flood Museum and to the dam itself. That's a serious piece of history that not many really know much about. What a tragedy!

I live close to the airport and probably less than 2 miles from from that track. It is the only one I know of. Does East Hills BMX ring a bell? I was 15 years old in 1977 and spent some long hours repairing water lines that washed out and hauling mud in town with single axles. I knew a few families that lost loved ones and all their property. It was some experience, for sure.

Latest posts

Back