Anyone Heard of Building a Bike saw from a Jet Ski Engine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jughead500

Sasquatch
Reaction score
I have a Pretty good looking Kawasaki JS300 Jet ski engine that my cousin gave to me.Kind of Useless just setting around collecting dust.Anyone here ever hear of building a Bike saw from one of these?here's a link to one on Ebay.Should I ditch the Idea and go for a CR250 or KX250 Engine.Sell this JS300 engie to fund something else?
Kawasaki Freshly Rebuilt 300sx Motor Engine 195 PSI 1986 1991 JS 300sx No Core | eBay

PS this won't be for competition.Just one of those things where i can say look what I built ain't it cool.:laugh:

Last edited:
might be a touch on the heavy side, but hey if its just a piece to say you did something unique, i say go for it. i think it may lack torque, because jetskis are made to move water fast through an impeller which doesnt seem like a torque demanding task but i could be wrong

DO IT!!!!!! not having to worry about cutting a :chainsaw:transmission off is nice. 300cc is small for a ski but it should pull a chain through some wood pretty good.

I believe I will.:msp_wink: I haven't set down to look at it lately but I'm thinking the bar will be on the wrong side or the carb is going to be on the front.I need to pull it out and mess around with it.

Jetski engines are essentially snowmobile engines. As mentioned it'll be a bit heavier and more inwieldy than a bike saw engine, but no reason why it won't work.

It's a Single Cylinder Water cooled though.I'm going to cut off all I can of he case that I can to lighten it.May pull it out before long and see what I can do with it.Got a Lot going on now so don't really know what this winter holds in store.

I'm tempted to build a modern kart engined saw. I have a PCR tsl2k that would make for an interesting saw, 32 hp @ 20,000 rpm. Couldn't find a pic, but it's pretty similar to this parilla.

Image%202011%20Engine%20-%20Iame%20Parilla%20Reedjet%20RL%20Top%20100cc%20-%20Clean.jpg

I would find a j s440 as they are abundant and we're the benchmark back in the day as far as stand up ski racing went.

That lil 300 is every bit as powerful as the twin 440's are. Plus the weight difference in another cylinder. My question is how are you thinking about starting it as they where designed with electric start and they had a 0ne way clutch system of the starter to the flywheel. That all can be eliminated. You can add a larger mikuni carb off the Yamaha WR 500. If you need an original carb I think it is still laying around.

Anything can be done but it sounds like a real expensive project,no recoil starter at all,it's watercooled-gonna attach a rad? Then bar studs and a clutch assembly,elctronic ignition box,gas tank,handlebars,pipe,whew! But sometimes it's just a mission of madness that has to be done!

Latest posts

Back