Anyone Heating Yet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hasn't been out all summer. Heat dhw through summer with it. Since May I'm sure haven't burned a cord maybe 3/4 of a cord.

Just a few fires on cold nights

My cutoff for the house is it has to be in the 40s outside at night to start burning just a little. So this time of year it is a little fire late in the evening..week goes by..another fire. Like that. regular all the time burning shouldn't start for at least another month, and some years well into November, like around Thanksgiving, just depends. Heck, still picking a lot of tomatoes and okra and peppers.

When the house can't consistently hold above 60 in the morning. It is sitting at 62-64 right now, so i have a little bit of time still.

My cutoff for the house is it has to be in the 40s outside at night to start burning just a little. some years well into November, like around Thanksgiving, just depends.

Last year I was ice fishing by Thanksgiving.

Been there

Last year I was ice fishing by Thanksgiving.

Don't miss it a lot. I like the longer gardening season. I like *some* winter, just not six to nine months of it. I do miss nice deep snow though......but I don't miss rusted out vehicles and potholes and torn up roads. And believe it or nutz, the bugs up north are a lot worse than here.

Tradeoffs everywhere, it gets down right beastly hot here..but then instead of ice fishing you can sneak off, go sit in the shade and thrash the shoreline with some lures, haul in nice bass. I used to go out ice fishing with my dad, before everyone had power augers and so forth, we used an ice spud to chop holes. After a few feet deep it got to be a lot like work, even if you did get some nice walleyes or perch or pike, etc.

We have enough of a winter here to get a few nice snows a year, you get a decent wood burning season, pretty fall and like anywhere you start looking forward to spring. It works.

Had four evening fires to knock the chill off the last couple weeks; inside house temp was 64-65 those nights. Wife said it was getting too cool upstairs in the boys' rooms and threatened to turn on the furnace. WHAT! No propane is the goal, so I got the OWB fired up, turned off the electric water heater and won't shut er' down until May! Here We Go!!! It's time to get busy cutting!:blob2:

We had a week of rain and cold temps little more than a week ago... had to fire up the stove in the basement when the house dropped to 63F.

Managed to get a few days of warm dry weather to dry the stacks back out, and brought in the first load to the basement.

Will be third fire of the season later tonight. Thurs, night for sure. Supposed to be in 30's. Here we go again!

I kicked it to heat a day or two ago, 3rd time so far but the 1st time not because it was that cold but just to make sure it worked. Other 2 times sum idiot went to sleep early with the windows up.

Been burning some junk basswood in the Hampton for the last 3 nights, just to take the edge off. And because we all love it.

late this year. Last year we were burning intermittently from late August. First fire was maybe 2 weeks ago - then a lull until 3 days ago. And having a cookstove, we have added inducement to light a fire since a hot oven and stovetop obviates the need to burn cooking propane.

Been weird not boiling corn for supper on the stovetop until very recent.

Went ahead and fired the OWB on Oct 1st as we got a frost at home and the house temp was 62 in the morning. Went ahead and converted the water heater to OWB mode and forgot to tell the wife as she slept in that morning. She does like the hot showers but probably would have appreciated a warning. For those of you who do not heat your water with wood, you probably do not understand what a truly hot shower is.
Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

For those of you who do not heat your water with wood, you probably do not understand what a truly hot shower is.

Did your OWB install involve removing the mixing valve and knobs on your shower? I must have missed that particular diagram! :hmm3grin2orange:

Went ahead and fired the OWB on Oct 1st as we got a frost at home and the house temp was 62 in the morning. Went ahead and converted the water heater to OWB mode and forgot to tell the wife as she slept in that morning. She does like the hot showers but probably would have appreciated a warning. For those of you who do not heat your water with wood, you probably do not understand what a truly hot shower is.
Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I take it you don't have the mixing valve on the water heater installed? Hahah :mad2: (thats and ouch face not a mad face btw) haha

Latest posts

Back