Anyone know more detail on this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The news keeps mentioning it was a crane with 2ppl inside it.. I wonder if it was a 100ft+ bucket truck or something like that. Uggh.. Imagine the feeling.. I mean, it's not like it was a sudden accident where you don't see it coming & the next thing you know the lights are out.. Guy up top probably went for a slow-mo ride. That's some friggin scary S&%$ right there! SMH...

I swear I saw another news clip yesterday where a guy was pinned by a huge tree that had either been felled or had fallen. From what it looked like in the short clip, guy was right under the fat butt.

Cape Cod Times reports it was two guys up in a bucket truck 160' off the ground working utility wires. Somehow the truck up-ended and the boom/bucket came crashing down.

Cape Cod Times reports it was two guys up in a bucket truck 160' off the ground working utility wires. Somehow the truck up-ended and the boom/bucket came crashing down.

Good lord... 160ft!!! That is high! I've been thinking about the scenario those guys went through since I seen it air earlier.. I can't even imagine.. If the boom didn't collapse while the truck wheelied up, depending on what angle they were at, it probably sling shot that bucket to the ground. Man so many questions on this end.. Mechanical failure, Negligence, Bad Rigging, Operator Error, so many variables..

I'll check out those links you posted, hopefully there is some more insight. I hope these guys get the correct coverage by the news before they move into some cliche hero story. These guys are the ones who keep the power alive to all the hospitals & emergency services.. Theyre the unsung hero's in my opinion, they keep the backbone of America strong.

From my own experience working on cape around cranes and other machines with outriggers, my first guess would be shifting sand under the outriggers. This occured in a sand pit and who knows how stable the ground was. Looks like it may have been disturbed over the years. If it's not virgin ground, it's always unstable.

CRANE-COLLAPSE.jpg

Officials Identify 2 Killed When Truck Topples
April 13th, 2014
BOURNE, Mass. (AP) — Two Massachusetts men working on high-tension power lines are dead after their bucket truck tipped over while they were in the basket more than 100 feet in the air.

Utility NStar says Joseph L. Boyd III, of Fall River, and John Loughran, of Quincy, had been contracted for an NStar project in Bourne, on Cape Cod.

Police Chief Dennis Woodside told the newspaper the two men were both in the bucket when the truck toppled over. He said they were killed instantly.

Woodside said it was not particularly windy at the time of the accident and the ground under the truck appeared to be solid.

The Office of Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating.

Possible hydraulic failure?

Latest posts

Back