Anyone know what this is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaisedByWolves

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We moved into our house a little over a year ago and we love this place. It has everything we were looking for in a property, room to grow into (3 acres) lots of plants and trees, room for the wife to garden, close to work/shopping without feeling close, etc.

About 1/3 of the property is taken up by the house and yard with the rest wooded with the wooded portion soon to contain walking trails, ponds and pocket gardens and also some food plots for the local critters.

While laying out the trails I was very carefull to avoid simply plowing through the woods and knocking down whatever was in the way both to keep the woods as intact as possable and also to give the trails a meandering park like atmosphere.

Here and there I would run across a plant that I cant identify. It grows like a tree, but stays small (as far as I can tell) similar to a large woody bush and has a very distintive bark on the newer limbs that Im hoping someone will recognize......

View attachment 33508

View attachment 33509

View attachment 33510

Ive been in the woods all my life and in lots of different areas but have never seen this plant.

Then again we have Shagbark Hickory, Pignut Hickory and Beech witch most people in the area dont seem to think even grows around here.

Can anyont identify it?

Thanks.

Euonymous alatus; and if I recall correctly the 'winged' variety is an invasive, non-native plant that displaces indigenous species.

Looks like it could be 1 of 3 types of elm, winged, cedar or september. Not 100% sure, went through 4 tree books and these are as close as I can get to what you have in your pic's. I have seen these in wooded areas here in N.W. Ohio. Hope this helps.

yes the corky growth on the twigs are "wings", hence winged euonymus. Yes can be invasive; might as well thin them out. in sun can be strong red fall color, hence "burning bush". My kid's school color is red so I plant them on that campus.

Resizing your images, the easy way

Your images are just a tad too big. I have dial up...yeah, yeah, I know, "get with the times, get a DSL connection" but that option is not as easy where I'm located and I don't want to pay what their asking for a satellite link but you can re-size your images by using this free and easily used program.
http://www.irfanview.com/
Once downloaded and installed, simply select file, then open your file, select image then re-size, select the 640 x 480 pixels or any other size desired (hopefully smaller), click okay, then go to file and select save. I generally choose the 640 x 480 pixels option. If you want to keep your outrageously large image, be sure to copy it or rename your re-sized pic so that it doesn't overwrite your obscenely huge photo.
Even better :
With Windows XP you can re-size multiple images in one operation with Power Toys/Image Resizer. You can download Image Resizer in the Power Toys options. Download from the Microsoft page :
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
With the Power Toys/Image Resizer, be sure to use the advance tab and choose not to make copies or you may have too many images in your folders.

Nice Shagbark Hickory but it took so long to get that far that I closed my connection then reconnected.

Thanks for the replys guys.

By Non native you mean not native to the US correct?

Would you recommend total removal or simply keep them under control? I kind of like them but if they are going to be a problem I could probably do without.

Any redeeming qualitys?

And thanks for your concern Elmore, but they are 640x480 pics. If I cranked the camera all the way up, your monitor would fall over once the pics loaded.

RaisedByWolves said:
Thanks for the replys guys.

Would you recommend total removal or simply keep them under control? I kind of like them but if they are going to be a problem I could probably do without.

Any redeeming qualitys?

And thanks for your concern Elmore, but they are 640x480 pics. If I cranked the camera all the way up, your monitor would fall over once the pics loaded.

Your pics opened right up today. The other day I was going to let the first one open and check the properties to see what size it was but it took too long and I didn't have the patience. Today I see that they are a reasonable size. I have a few Burning Bush that my wife wants planted but I have been concerned with it's invasiveness. I like Nandina but the species, domestica, will volunteer. I have the ability to control it either by spraying herbicide or grubbing so it remains a plant that I will use. Burning Bush does not seem to be a problem down here but further north it is suggested as an urban use plant as out in the country it can volunteer. Check out this link : http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/alert/alrteuon.html

RaisedByWolves said:

Any redeeming qualitys?

they are mainly used in landscaping situations. and are okay if kept under control IMO. they ususally dont spread too badly and if they are in your yard you can keep new ones from sprouting up. it will add nice red fall color to the landscape. i dont see them being a big problem if you prune and keep it contained.

Thanks again guys.

Looks like the big threat is birds eating the seeds and spreading them elsewheres.

Would this plant give viable seeds if there were no males/females in the area? Ie, if I removed them all save for one would they still produce viable seed?

RaisedByWolves said:
if I removed them all save for one would they still produce viable seed?

Yes, but invasiveness is relative. One thought is to plant other understory plants so you have a balance.

Latest posts

Back