Anyone think those plastic bladed brush cutters are dangerous?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SCOTCLAYSHOOTER is still puzzled.... but my theory is that after 30 generations of weang kilts, Darwinisum has left the entire Scot genome a little short. Maybe that's why he feels "comfortable" with no guards :greenchainsaw:

SCOTCLAYSHOOTER is still puzzled.... but my theory is that after 30 generations of weang kilts, Darwinisum has left the entire Scot genome a little short. Maybe that's why he feels "comfortable" with no guards :greenchainsaw:
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Echo offers once for their trimmers, and we stock one...its been hanging on the shelf for a very long time, no one even gives it a second look.

Bottom line is that if (2) 0.080" strings turning 10K wont lop whatever it is you are cutting off....then you need a circular steel brush blade. No sense in half azzing it with hard plastic blades, its like a compromise, and compromise means that you have a product that half does the function of 2 dedicated parts.

So your one of my opponents for the Darwin award. Well I hit myself in the head with a hammer yesterday, on purpose, top that one!!! I don't wear any clothes while trimming. A blade may disintegrate and tear a hole in my jeans. Chaps make my a$$ look big. :hmm3grin2orange:

LOL you win i at least always wear jeans and a boilersuit and never with bare arms but its been jeans and waterproofs mostly in the last month:censored:

LOL maybe your right!
I will admit i have been rattled with stones, Pine cones, Dog ####e and even had a 1/4" stone wedged up my left nostril after it bounced off my chest and under the visor :( But even when i have used guards in the past ive been rattled!
But most of what i cut is clean gardens and its not a problem.

LOL maybe your right!
I will admit i have been rattled with stones, Pine cones, Dog ####e and even had a 1/4" stone wedged up my left nostril after it bounced off my chest and under the visor :( But even when i have used guards in the past ive been rattled!
But most of what i cut is clean gardens and its not a problem.
LOL, The dog stuff was funny, But now a stone up the nose. That's a good one too. Sounds like you need a space suit to work in. LOL

LOL, The dog stuff was funny, But now a stone up the nose. That's a good one too. Sounds like you need a space suit to work in. LOL

LOL it was well and truly wedged i was bleeding and no amount of blowing would remove it, I finally got it out by using the pliers on my leatherman wave!

Echo offers once for their trimmers, and we stock one...its been hanging on the shelf for a very long time, no one even gives it a second look.

Bottom line is that if (2) 0.080" strings turning 10K wont lop whatever it is you are cutting off....then you need a circular steel brush blade. No sense in half azzing it with hard plastic blades, its like a compromise, and compromise means that you have a product that half does the function of 2 dedicated parts.

You should try one... your opinion may change with real world experience. They kick line butt.. so long as you aren't around rocks and posts.

Last edited:
You should try one... your opinion may change with real world experience. They kick line butt.. so long as you aren't around rocks and posts.

I actually did use one before I became informed. used it to try and clear tall thick overgrowth, it kept on tangling up...

To be honest, a crappy Ryobi POS trimmer with a dual outlet bump head, and 0,080 line was much better at doing the job. It cut the stuff off clean and laid it over. The blade thing wanted to hit it, then drag it around.

Line or Steel blade for me thanks.:clap:

Stihl polycut head will kick a line head to the curb for straight mowing.

Three cutting edges to the two on a line head with less aero drag. I bet the head turns another 1K RPM with the polycut head. It ROCKS !!!

I was always under the impression that the guards were invented to keep idiots from grabbing the spinning heads in the first place.

One thing is for sure, since they started putting guards on everything, there sure are a lot more idiots around.

The guards are there to keep flying debris from hitting you, Remove one on an FS 250 and see what fun it would be.lol I had an old Shindiawa brushcutter that didn't have one and it had no where near the power of the ones I have now and it would throw rocks back on the shin and knees and face or whatever faces it.

Latest posts

Back