anyone want to remember Shigo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I first met Al Shigo in 1980 at Arbor Age. I went to one of his seminars and was blown away w his approach and content. After that I was at a Don Blair class and while listening to him flap away noticed Dr. Shigo was sitting right next to me. He really liked being around us. Over the years I got most of my recert credits from him and own every one of his books (signed) and a much treasured 1st copy of his Tree Biology before he even had a chance to put an appendix in it. He thanked me for it. After years of seminars in beautiful locations like Boone, N C, Saranac NY (PaulSmith), Manchester New Hampshire, etc. He d go out to dinner w us, haave a cocktail w us while playing a clarinet and genuinely just enjoy our company. I wasn t a good student but w him a teacher I was . I understood all his stuff (except for that damn chemistry) and am forever in his dept for where I am today. I miss him deeply and need a "Shigo fix "as some of us call it.

I'm getting my Shigo fix by trying to do what he did. dissecting trees, seeing how they work, documenting. writing, talking, and most of all touching trees, to keep that connection alive.

Rereading his books on cold winter nights works too.:popcorn:

I met Alex when he and I were on the program at National Institute for Park and Grounds Management Conference in Minneapolis, 1989. Last saw him at one of his seminars in Portsmouth, NH about 4 years ago. A very interesting man. He was a great influence on how I teach my labs and arboriculture classes. He is missed by all who knew him.

Back