Appalachian Yarding Operations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was pondering my gyppo yarder, if I reconfigure it and switch my haulback to 3/8 I can get 500+ feet on it. I would still have to have the main line shackled in but I can probably man handle 4-500' of 1/2" around its only 200#s could maybe use the haulback as a crappy strawline, and get some real range out of it.

I was originally worried about snapping lines and whatnot, but really it just needs to be faster and have a better reach. 3/8 has a breaking strength of 12000#s and the winches are only rated to 8k. Anyway still need a better motor and something resembling a real clutch.

Or there KY... the big winch on mine is just the larger deuce and a half winch (half track?) its drum is 12" wide and 12" in diameter, with a 6" barrel, I figure a guy could easily rig one on to the back of a skidder with a hydraulic motor to turn it and be in business, the whole thing is maybe 20" long and a little over 14" wide.

Damn it now you guy's got me engineering again... few 100 feet of 2" 1/4 wall tubing, some welding, couple of burly come-a-longs for guy lines, derelict car trailer, 2-3 cylnder diesel out of a boat with the sail drive thingy... some corrugated roofing... couple cans of cat yeller... hot damn it would look almost like the real thing...

Our thought process has seem to have gone the same direction. I am thinking an Onan or Perkins diesel, a 12' tandem axle trailer. I like the idea of a divorced t case for the drums. I think I am gonna send off for the plans on the Bitterroot, and engineer it a little heavier duty. I was trying to figure out the guy line situation and the only thing different I could come up with than you was the mandatory Barley after the burly come a long cranking of course!

I have a pair of hand crank boat type winches, with cam locks and the whole works... have 5/16 galvey on em now, perhaps a couple of those *****'n chain come-a-longs shackled to the guys wouldn't be so bad, and you would only need to do the guys once a week or so for full time production. Other then a daily tightening...

Back