Arborist or not... You decide.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am just flipping through a local green industry business directory and trade journal that I picked up this past January at the local trade show. I will not name any names here, but this is what is advertised by one company (to other contractors). "Pruning, Shaping, and Topping * Cabling and Rod Bracing * Seasoned Firewood * Vista and Land Clearings * Wood Chips and Mulching * Evergreen Screenings * Snow Plowing * Holiday Tree Decorating" In the lower right hand corner of the ad there is the ISA certified arborist logo thing. I thought that Topping is not allowed anymore? Also when I was in Dr. Ryan's intro to arb class last fall he was advocating vista PRUNING and not clearing. Maybe I am off my rocker here, but is this guy an arborist? and if so how did he ever pass the ISA test?

I`m not an arborist but I think an individual has the right to choose what they want done with their property.
I don`t see a problem advising someone against topping but the customer should have the final word.

I'll go out on Topping estimates and Actually 7 out of 10 times i can pursade them into a pruning. The other 3 i'll turn down. I have a nice horror tree picture book that i made up that shows several topping jobs and what the effects were.
Most of the pictures were taken right after the big green trucks rolled thru! :D

If you dont show up to try to educate the customer Jo Blo down the road will
drive thru Chop'N'top em. Also I have never actually found a prune customer that knew spikes were bad for the tree.
Every one has told me every tree man they ever used wore spikes! :eek:

Latest posts

Back