Arborist rejoice! 201T Mod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the timing advance it quite necessary. Opening up the muffler and unlimiting the carb are the key things to do. Brad picked up some with the timing advance, but not as much as the other mods.

The key is "molded" into the flywheel and not removable. You grind away about a 1/3 or so of it, install the flywheel on the saw and turn it CCW till the key hits in it's groove, then tighten the flywheel down with the flywheel nut. Make sure the flywheel doesn't move when tightening the nut as you are turning it CW and it may cause the flywheel to move in that direction, hence defeating the advancement.

Thanks, was trying to figure out what everybody was talking about

Thanks guys .Sounds like the key is mainly used to index the mag and FW during installation and the taper will maintain them afterward.:rock:

OK, Now next question.

Who will be the first one to learn how to tweak the rev limiter?

I also had my 201t modded by my mechanic and wow what a difference. I showed him the same videos referenced in the forum that Beastmaster referred to.

The response and scream on this thing from before is the difference between night and day.

Not for nothing boys, but after all the hype and bad reviews, I just won 2 bids on Ebay for 2 200T's. one for 400 the other for 600. Now I have an 020T, and 2 - 200T's. They both run great and dont look like too many hours on them at all. I feel real lucky. I will wait this time period out a while and see what progression happens to the master of all climbing saws. See how long all your Mods to the 201 last and all, but seriously glad to know there are others out there helping with the flaws. Great site, You just cant take that saw away from me and not feel like you just took my right arm. Even if they sit for years, I feel better now. Thanks again guys, and Safe working my brothrens in the TREES! Up the Irons! Rich

I was not aware mods on the lightweights were a long lasting option. And why wouldn't the mfr have built it 'right'.

Are a new cylinder & piston for an ms200T available from other than from dealer sources?

I have an old saw that hasn't been disassembled yet, but doesn't idle or cut worth beans. A new carb didn't help. It's just on the shelf, which is sad, because we have thousands of hours together. The case & handles are still in pretty good shape.

Rather than buy a 201, why not ressurrect this old gal? Thanks for enlightening me.

Ox

I was not aware mods on the lightweights were a long lasting option. And why wouldn't the mfr have built it 'right'.

Are a new cylinder & piston for an ms200T available from other than from dealer sources?

I have an old saw that hasn't been disassembled yet, but doesn't idle or cut worth beans. A new carb didn't help. It's just on the shelf, which is sad, because we have thousands of hours together. The case & handles are still in pretty good shape.

Rather than buy a 201, why not ressurrect this old gal? Thanks for enlightening me.

Ox

Seriously?
We in the liberal state's of america must make the powerful pay! Carbon imprint and destroying the earth,
Don't you get it? California needs money!! LOL!,,ARG!
Jeff :msp_scared:

Last edited:
We've done several muffler mods for long term tree service customers that have bought the 201T's, we adjust the h against the limiter and the L out one and 5/8 turns, all think they are better than there 200T's, in fact I've got four or five extremely clean 200t's sitting on the shelf for sale, the 201 at sometime will be a mtronic, Stihl is aware of the fact that some don't like the 201 and are working hard on a comprimise that appeases the epa gods. We sell Echo as well and they have nothing close to the 201.
In one feedback study it was interesting two saws were set up to cut exactly the same, but one was set up to have a different exhaust note, louder, most of the users picked the louder saw as being stronger although both would duplicate the others performance in wood.

We've done several muffler mods for long term tree service customers that have bought the 201T's, we adjust the h against the limiter and the L out one and 5/8 turns, all think they are better than there 200T's, in fact I've got four or five extremely clean 200t's sitting on the shelf for sale, the 201 at sometime will be a mtronic, Stihl is aware of the fact that some don't like the 201 and are working hard on a comprimise that appeases the epa gods. We sell Echo as well and they have nothing close to the 201.
In one feedback study it was interesting two saws were set up to cut exactly the same, but one was set up to have a different exhaust note, louder, most of the users picked the louder saw as being stronger although both would duplicate the others performance in wood.

I think it is hard for a dealer to determine that 2 close saws "duplicate" the other's performance in wood". We have certain demands in the air.

How much for the used, clean ms200's?

I agree with you. I don't have a 201 but this is probaly the best mod you can do to a saw or any saw for that matter along with keeping the chain sharp and keeping the bar in good shape. Doing any more mods like advancing the timing by just filing the key in the flywheel wouldn't really do that much ,porting and messing around with the squish to increase the compression gain more RPM's will IMHO just jeperdize the longevity of the saw over the the long run. I know there are many guy's that love to run engine modded saws and I can see why, don't get me wrong on this issue :hmm3grin2orange: but I just don't see the need for engine mods on a small saw like the 201 or the 200

Latest posts

Back