Archer Ripping chain VS Woodland Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Jist some pictures to share for you guy. Iv very interested in this archer ripping chain. Different profile in every aspect. Archer chain has the blue links

Both are 3/8

What I also like anoit the archer. It has 3/8 & .063 right on the chain for easy identification.
IMG_2985.jpegIMG_2984.jpegIMG_2986.jpeg

I generally use Archer. No complaints about it. I haven't used Woodland Pro in a long time since they started selling the most erratically ground lo pro ripping chain I've come across. Assume their standard 3/8 ripping is still okay. As rebadged Carlton, WP was always considered fairly decent stuff in the past but I dunno in recent years. Archer just seems like the best bang for the buck out there in inexpensive chain.

I have only used WP ripping chain. Time to try something new and the stuff looks promising. I like how the cutters have a more rounded profile like a semi-chisel. I bet they make a nicer looking cut. And the offset depth gauges have to help with chatter I would assume.

We will see. It will be a good compromise for me.

I have only used WP ripping chain. Time to try something new and the stuff looks promising. I like how the cutters have a more rounded profile like a semi-chisel. I bet they make a nicer looking cut. And the offset depth gauges have to help with chatter I would assume.

We will see. It will be a good compromise for me.
The Archer is semi-chisel, no? I know they make both full and semi in ripping chain, but that sure looks completely like semi in comparison to the WP. They say all the right things in their advertising about using a quality Japanese steel alloy, which is one of the most important things for any Chinese production to produce decent quality, is to not use Chinese steel. My guess is their chromium plating might not be as great as quality brands resulting in edges not holding sharpness as long, but otherwise chain factories are chain factories, the production methods are the same everywhere. Differences in chain design seem to make an enormous amount more difference than the quality differences between most chains these days.

The Archer is semi-chisel, no? I know they make both full and semi in ripping chain, but that sure looks completely like semi in comparison to the WP. They say all the right things in their advertising about using a quality Japanese steel alloy, which is one of the most important things for any Chinese production to produce decent quality, is to not use Chinese steel. My guess is their chromium plating might not be as great as quality brands resulting in edges not holding sharpness as long, but otherwise chain factories are chain factories, the production methods are the same everywhere. Differences in chain design seem to make an enormous amount more difference than the quality differences between most chains these days.
Used the chain a few times the past couple days. It seems to hold an edge just as long as WP. And when sharpening it definitely seems like it is a hard alloy. the semi-chisel profile makes a smoother mill finish on the boards. Im going to order a roll of it.

Best ripping chains I've used are from Stihl but $$$ and hard to find in USA. They have the "X" suffix to denote milling chain. Not listed in USA catalogs. I believe in Europe they still offer milling chain in regular 3/8? 33RMX/36RMX?

For shorter bar lengths the 63PMX (3/8 picco/lo pro) can't be beat, smooth cuts and narrow kerf (kerf is 1/4"). Been using that since the 1990s on my 066. Need to have a picco/lo pro drive sprocket and tipped bar.

The Archer chain above looks like differently shaped cutter. A lot more curve on the corner and looks to be wider? Is the kerf bigger from a cut?

Used the chain a few times the past couple days. It seems to hold an edge just as long as WP. And when sharpening it definitely seems like it is a hard alloy. the semi-chisel profile makes a smoother mill finish on the boards. Im going to order a roll of it.
I lucked into a free 25’ roll of tiny 3/8LP .043 chain thru an Archer website error. Might mess with that a little for 8-12" board resawing with my small log mill and MS251 (free saw cheaply rebuilt so not worried about a little bit of milling with it). I thought it was crosscut chain but actually it's ripping chain, which is strange in that small a size. As Mad Professor says, hard to beat 63PMX Stihl for milling results but costs about 3x what Archer 3/8LP ripping chain does and I find Archer's 3/8LP chain works great. Stihl's is the only 3/8LP on the market rated up to 36" bars, but I've only snapped any Archer 36" loops so far pushing too hard thru the hardest of 30" hardwoods. Has held an edge great considering the stuff I've run it through (mesquite, live oak, white oak, pecan, etc, hardest of US hardwoods). The first is the .050 the second is the .043

Attachments

• C77730EB-0928-4FF9-9A3A-7CBFCC02A431.jpeg
    C77730EB-0928-4FF9-9A3A-7CBFCC02A431.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 440015BD-3C59-47A1-9A10-FAE304E462AF.jpeg
    440015BD-3C59-47A1-9A10-FAE304E462AF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Back