Arctic Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsaw1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting either a MS441 or MS460 weight wise probley the 460 because they are the same weight but more power but i herd the 441 is very smooth. But i would like to get one with the heated handle for something different and was wondering if anyone had one and what you thought of it.

Than i should have a good 3 saw combo 026, MS4-- & my MS660 BB

Thanks for any help, i did a search but didnt really find anything on them.

I have never used the heated handle versions but all the handles are the same and put out the same amount of heat I assume. So after that you have a standard 441 and 460. To save you a bunch of time: The 441 is smooth and sips fuel, makes more power than the 440 but less than the 460, somewhere in the middle. The 441 doesn't take to mods like the 460 will. The 441 burns cleaner. Modded the 460 is a beast, as it is stock also. I'm wanting to run the 441 but love my 044s, 440s and 460s. The 441 is Stihl's first Strato saw also, the main reason for the low fuel comsumption and cleaner burning exhaust.

Yes the 441 or 460 will suit your 3 saw plan well.:chainsaw:

I am leaning towards the 441 because i already have a beast. You say the 441 does not take well to mods, to what extent? do they do well with just a muffler mod?

I am leaning towards the 441 because i already have a beast. You say the 441 does not take well to mods, to what extent? do they do well with just a muffler mod?

Don't know on the muffler mod, if it were my saw, I would leave it alone. From what I read, it may run good or bad.:confused:

That being said, all mine have a muffler mod or more.:D

"That being said, all mine have a muffler mod or more."

Right on brother, thats what i like:greenchainsaw:

Yep, I would not have it any other way, LOL. Just don't let me make your choice, many who have the 441 love it. If I needed another 70cc saw, the 441 would be my next choice.

I bet it does feel good with wet gloves and i am deff going to try one of those handle heaters out, it would be way more comfey cutting wood when it is 0 deg outside.

If memory seves, heated handles were first introduced in 1968 or so, by Partner of course - I believe it was on the R18.

It took several years before others followed up....

Edit; it was 1969 - R18.

Last edited:
Not much on a 262xpg, I think the difference is 200 Grams or so.
Worth it for comfort on cold days.

can you switch it on and off or is it always on? does it get hot in the summer, i know when im cutting in the summer i dont wear gloves because in an hour they are filled with sweat and get slippery.

They switch on and off. I love mine makes cutting at -10* somewhat enjoyable. It will dry wet gloves cuts out if you do enough cutting.

Where are you in Michigan? If your in the western UP i could arrange a test of a 460 with heated handles.

I am no way knocking a 460 but i just got a 441 and we have been cutting
big red oak and kinda comparing saws the only thing i see different is the
460 hogs fuel compared to my 441 now the 460 is a couple years older than
my saw but it dosent have many hours on it .i weighed both saws the 441
with a 32 " bar 21 LBS The 460 24" bar 21 LBS. just trying to give you what
we have seen.

can you switch it on and off or is it always on? does it get hot in the summer, i know when im cutting in the summer i dont wear gloves because in an hour they are filled with sweat and get slippery.

You turn it on and off at will.

They usually add between .2 and .4 lbs to the weight of the saw.

Latest posts

Back