Are 30 inch wheels too big gor homemade bandsaw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebconstruction

Reaction score
Im wanting to build a portable bandsaw mill using the 30 inch wheels and a few other parts off my big American bandsaw that’s about 100 years old
It was already retrofitted with pillow blocks and a new shaft Snd the way the upper wheel hub is designed it will be very easy to set up
I have a big mobile demensions sawmill I’m currently getting running Thsts sat since 1990
But it’s not set up to be portable and I’ve got some seriously big timber to harvest and don’t want to try and load it in full log form
I didn’t realize just how big 30 inch cast iron wheels are until I stated laying out the set up
I feel like even tho they are balanced it’s a lot of weight moving around on what I’d hoped would be a light machine
I’ve owned an old aluminum wood mizer lt20 in the past and it’s wheels were much lighter and smaller
Unfortunately I’m strapped for cash but do have access to tons of old steel and old equipment
Should I build it super heavy for that wheel size or can I go lighter if I’m smart about the design ?

Im wanting to build a portable bandsaw mill using the 30 inch wheels and a few other parts off my big American bandsaw that’s about 100 years old
It was already retrofitted with pillow blocks and a new shaft Snd the way the upper wheel hub is designed it will be very easy to set up
I have a big mobile demensions sawmill I’m currently getting running Thsts sat since 1990
But it’s not set up to be portable and I’ve got some seriously big timber to harvest and don’t want to try and load it in full log form
I didn’t realize just how big 30 inch cast iron wheels are until I stated laying out the set up
I feel like even tho they are balanced it’s a lot of weight moving around on what I’d hoped would be a light machine
I’ve owned an old aluminum wood mizer lt20 in the past and it’s wheels were much lighter and smaller
Unfortunately I’m strapped for cash but do have access to tons of old steel and old equipment
Should I build it super heavy for that wheel size or can I go lighter if I’m smart about the design ?
Nope the bigger the wheel the less stress it puts on the blade when it goes around the wheel and you get more momentum to get thru the cut because of the spinning weight of the wheel

Nope the bigger the wheel the less stress it puts on the blade when it goes around the wheel and you get more momentum to get thru the cut because of the spinning weight of the wheel
Yes and no, it also takes more hp to get keep those big wheels turning. Also the bigger the wheel, the more pronounced any out of balance will be. If you cant keep them balanced, they could bounce the carriage off the track and increase the chance of blade breakage. Pros and cons, Cons and pros

Yes and no, it also takes more hp to get keep those big wheels turning. Also the bigger the wheel, the more pronounced any out of balance will be. If you cant keep them balanced, they could bounce the carriage off the track and increase the chance of blade breakage. Pros and cons, Cons and pros
Why would they not stay balanced unless the weights fly off or the hub bearing comes loose or wears out to bad or the tire goes flat

IF they worked o.k. on the old mill then I would use them on the new one, with one word of caution, Build it heavy like the old one was or you could have problems.
If you have that many big logs to harvest,--I would consider moving the big guy to the site and save a lot of guess work of trying to make a lightweight thing that is not going to work on your logs if they are that big and heavy. just my .02!

Back