Are pecan roots red???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity Honoria

Reaction score
as i struggle along in the existance of homeowner, the kids & i lifted up one of the ancient paving blocks on the front walk-- several have started rising up... we lifted it and it appeared to be only dirt & worms... so we began to dig it out to make the block rest flat with the others...

on one side is a gnarled root-- vivid red (or dark pink), at least 1.5" thick, only about 1/2" below the surface... i don't want to assault my pecan trees if it is a pecan root... so i am now delighting my neighbors with a piece of plyboard across the gap... next to the walkway are tons of azaleas...

advice appreciated...

pecan wood is often reddish inside, so I bet it is. azalea roots don't get that big.

how far from the trunk is it?

1.5 inches; you can probably prune it without damaging the tree. But there are more...

the roots are still within the drip line... SOOOOO instead of committing a heinous crime upon my trees (for a temporary solution) i will move along to the permanent solution--

the house was built in 1947-- the front walk is now as much as 3" below the surface of the lawn... so my plan was to lift all of them, use round pebbles & sand to build up the area, and lay the cement pavers back down, at the height of the soil... that will eliminate the 'puddle syndrome' and eliminate the uneven surface...

so that'll solve the roots lifting the "pavers..." and preserve the roots...

am i learning how to be tree friendly???

if the plan of sand & round pebbles is bad, go ahead and instruct me as to what would be a better fill product...

Trinity Honoria said:
if the plan of sand & round pebbles is bad, go ahead and instruct me as to what would be a better fill product...
sounds ok to me, not knowing anything about the soil or the site or availability. Sometimes I use crush&run, "abc" stone. to be really tree-friendly, you'd make structural soil out of expanded aggregate like vole-bloc mixed with compost, but that takes a bit more money...

i was going with what i learned in the class i took on using pavers... i wasn't planning on removing any of the existing soil-- only building up the area of the walkway... BUT does the compost mix nurture my trees more? if so, i can check into the volume needed & cost... if i don't faint at the $$$, i am not adverse to your suggestion... if the cost is prohibitive, how about a layer of the compost mix, with minimal crush & run on top, then pavers replaced???

treeseer, you are the man!!!

OH OH OH

i read up on volebloc-- i love tulips, daffodils, etc but the blasted moles/voles (whatever they are) thought my yard was for their personal gourmet feast... i gave up planting them... reading the description of using this aggregate, i can have my flowers again!!!

thank you soooo much for suggesting it (even tho for something different)... there're several places in my community that carry it...

thank you, you have made my night! my week!!! just in time for me to get those bulbs in the ground this fall!!!

twarnt nuthin. for the sidewalk, I'd go for the sand&roundstone after the structural soil (not even sure you need or want that). It'd be better than the crushnrun under pavers.

Latest posts

Back