Are These Trees Worth Harvesting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am currently working with a non-profit group that is converting an abandoned rail corridor into a recreational trail. The rail line has been abandoned for almost 30 years.

Last December we had a terrible ice storm which brought down a large number of trees that were bordering the corridor. Since this is in central NC the trees are about 95% southern yelow pine. I would estimate the ages of the trees are between 15-40 years old. Since the trees grew in toward the open corridor most of them fell perpendicular to the corridor and most of the trunks are not touching the ground.

The section of the corridor in question is about 3 miles long and there is access at several road crossings

The trail club would like to get this mess cleaned up so that we can proceed with the rest of the construction of the trail. We have already used volunteer labor to clear another section of the corridor that was not in nearly as bad a shape and it took us about 4 months of Saturdays.

Do these downed trees have enough value that it would be worth someone's (logging company) while to come in and clean this mess up?

Thanks,

Steve Sr.

Steve, check your private messages. I would be interested in taking a look at your trees. Send me an email.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back