Ascenders???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK, I'm getting too fat to hip thrust and too embarrassed to ask my guys to haul me up. I'm looking at the "best sellers" in wespur... Worth the money???

Go with petzl hand and foot ascenders. Have those and the croll chest and love the system. cant go wrong in my opinion, very comfortable

OTG,
those do look neat and may even be better. i can't complain about petzl ascenders though. have you had any problem out of them?

OTG,
those do look neat and may even be better. i can't complain about petzl ascenders though. have you had any problem out of them?

No but a friend of mine has "thumbed" open the cam on his. The BD ones sort of lock (notice the hinge at the bottom of the handle) I could be wrong but I think it would be almost impossible to "thumb" open the cam on this one.

OK, I'm getting too fat to hip thrust and too embarrassed to ask my guys to haul me up. I'm looking at the "best sellers" in wespur... Worth the money???

Definately a candidate for SRT! also check out the pulley trick for oldirty thread. Combine that with a pantin from petzl and away you go.

You don't need to make the big leap to SRT. Just get one ascender (I like the CMI Expedition ascenders: they have big handles and blunt teeth) and attach a foot loop. Attach the ascender just below your friction knot, and you are good to go. You can use your foot (leg) as much or as little as you like. The handle makes hip thrusting a lot easier whenever go into that mode.

Tree MD getting fat has nothing to do with it. Your getting older and wiser. I'm 46 y/o and climb every day except sunday. I got tired of pulling my self around with my arms. researched srt and have been climbing with ascenders for last 7 years. Your legs have the biggest muscles in your body, put them to work. I go about 215 lbs i'm the heaviest I've ever been, and I think I'm in the best shape of my life. Keep it simple cmi/new tribe set up from sherrill is all you need. It will take a month to get used to it, then don,t look back.

Corey

SRT can make the ascent easy(for that I use a CMI Expedition with footloop a Croll and a Pantin) but if the climbs are less than 50 feet I'm not sure thta SRT justifies the set-up and switchover time. Just adding a Pantin REALLY makes DdRT ascent a LOT easier than bodythrusting.

All I've done lately to make things easier is to add a foot ascender from CMI. You can still use your hip-thrust rig, just use your leg muscles instead of your arms to pull down on your rope to raise yourself up. It's insanely easy and once your legs get used to it, you won't go back. Descending stays the same as before. Just be sure to release the grab on the foot ascender or you'll look pretty weird hanging upside down with your foot stuck in your climbing hitch.

Back