Ash Tree Retaining wall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyflva2

Reaction score
hello,

I live in southen Il. I have a mature ash tree in front yard. Front yard is flat.The tree's roots are above grade which makes it difficult to mow the grass around the exposed roots, some of which extend 8 feet from trunk of tree. I am thinking of ringing the tree with a retaining wall 4 inches high with 9 foot diameter, and back filled with 2 inches of topsoil and 2 inches of mulch, and planting a few ornamental plants around the tree within the ring. I have purchased the materials and dug the trench around the tree and exposed roots but am reluctant to proceed after several people have informed me my effforts will eventually harm the tree. I should not cover the roots. Is this accurate? If true, I am looking for ideas and suggestions to meet my goal of not having to mow over, around the roots or to weed wack the weeds and tall grass that grows in and around them. Using my weed wacker is even worse to use, because it is difficult to avoid stripping the bark from the roots. Need help in Southern Illinoise. Appreciate any feedback.
Regards and Happy Saturday to all!

First question, how much are you willing to invest to keep Emerald Ash Borer at bay? Depending on how big the tree is that could be thousands of dollars. How close is EAB to you now? I'd start treatments NO LATER than when the "major front" of dead trees is 45-60 miles away...that is 2-3 years before trees start dying in mass in your area - and probably after the initial infestation has already been established in your town.

Now to your more specific questions: The reason you don't want to put soil over the area is because the roots need oxygen, and that needs to go through the roots. The surface roots are likely there because you soil is too heavy or compacted for water or oxygen go get them deeper. That means adding more soil over them will make that situation worse.

Why not just add 2-3" of mulch? (without the retaining wall). That would accomplish the same thing (cover exposed roots/no need to mow) without the negative impacts of added soil.

FYI in case you didn't know EAB is in MIssouri in Wayne County and eventually it will be here. I have talked to, met with and been afield several times with the EAB guy out of St. Louis that is with the USDA and he told me it is literally a matter of time before it is here. It has also been found in Effingham or Salem area where a large railyard is and he said it is liekly it came into that area on a railcar.

I agree with the mulch and plant a few flowers around the base, or rocks. I don't know if rocks would hurt the tree or not but around my place roots have grown around and through rocks.

Latest posts

Back