ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone spilt and burned ash for fire wood ?i cut down a ash tree that had rotted at the base,but a nice straight log.i hear it spilts pretty good.

Splits good and burns real nice. The only wood that doesnt really need seasoning give it a week or two at most. You can pretty much burn it when its felled.

Ash is AWESOME firewood for a fireplace. Good luminous flame, lights easily, fairly long burn, my favorite fireplace wood.

Bushman, turn it into baseball bats. They will even make the proper sound and not that !@##$$#@@ PING!. Seriously, it is good wood to burn, and good for swinging tools that dont take heavy impacts. Very light and stiff.

it would be some short bats just cut it 18 for the wood stove ,see how it spilts this weekend in 95 degree heat.

Try cutting logs in a ash flat average size 30" to 40", ya better have a sharp chain cause it splits in a heartbeat, barberchair city.

techdave said:
Bushman, turn it into baseball bats. They will even make the proper sound and not that !@##$$#@@ PING!. Seriously, it is good wood to burn, and good for swinging tools that dont take heavy impacts. Very light and stiff.

Glad to hear someone else hates the ping!

You bet that is good firewood! I even saved the trunk of a large ash (About 30" dia) and had it sawed into some beautiful lumber.

Gearhead1 said:
You bet that is good firewood! I even saved the trunk of a large ash (About 30" dia) and had it sawed into some beautiful lumber.
Well glad to hear somebody else thinks ash is beautiful lumber. In my book, working ash in my woodshop is up there with working oak. It machines well, takes stains and finishes well like oak, and I fine I can get a smoother sanded surface than oak. Only catch is at shows everybody wants oak, cherry or maple, because thats all they know. You show them a beautiful stool and they like it, and then you tell them its made out of ash or hickory or elm and they get this puzzled look and say "got that in oak?".

Back