Aspiring Arborist Advice!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewKid

Reaction score
Greetings All,
I am currently persuing a degree in horti/arboriculture but my goal is to climb. Because I won't be working in the tree care field for a while I would like your imput on the best ways to learn on my own. I know about the Arbormaster training and the ISA seems to have a lot of good reading material but... I would really like to be ready and able to climb when I start looking for a gig in the field. Thanks! :cool:

Michael

Hey Michael
Well let me jump in first!
Don't forget that the Horticulture part of your training is just as important. I wouldn't be half the Arborist I am if I didn't have a horticulture degree!
As far as climbing I went the apprenticeship route and I don't regret it!
Arbormaster training is great but it helps you advance and can't give you the time you need to learn to climb!
Ask around and find good companies in your area and don't take the first job that comes along just cause you want to work!
Pick carefully and you will be OK.
If your not sure ask the boys around here what they think!
You will get a lot of different thoughts but the guy's mean well and won't lead you astray!
Besides if one of them does we will be all over them! ;)
Later
John

Definately get with a reputable company, and remember to be a team player. Most people won't spend time teaching a prima donna or someone they don't like.

It's not just about climbing, you need to know your knots and rigging to get up in the tree/once you're in the tree. Don't go cheap on the equipment, good equipment to get you up in the tree isn't cheap.You can practice with a saddle, ropes, some caribiners and a throw line but to work you need PPE and saws and a lot more. The Fundamentals of General Tree Work by G.F.Beranek and The Tree Climbers Companion by Jeff Jepson is a good place to start. When you get out in the real world you'll find everyone does it their own way. The basics are the same. Know how to tie a few knots before you climb.

Where are you going to school?[/QUOTE]

Hi Nikro,
Working on my prereq's at the moment, haven't decided yet. I don't seem to have too many choices in my immediate area. Joliet Junior College seems to have a well respected program... I was talking with a Care of Trees guy a while back and he mentioned they had been working with a school in Wisconsin to include climbing and arborist specific training in their prog. Do you know where that is?

Michael

What city are you from newkid? I live in Crystal Lake. U of Wisconson is the closest school around that offers a arboricultural program. Im at SIU studying forestry. Western has some kind of program but I dont know much about it. Good luck with everything and enjoy the site.

-Fred

NewKid said:
Working on my prereq's at the moment, haven't decided yet. I don't seem to have too many choices in my immediate area. Joliet Junior College seems to have a well respected program... I was talking with a Care of Trees guy a while back and he mentioned they had been working with a school in Wisconsin to include climbing and arborist specific training in their prog. Do you know where that is?

Michael
Oh sure, there are a couple of options. Joliet has a program for arboriculture that you could check out. But the schools in Wisconsin that TCOT person was telling you about are the technical colleges, Milwaukee Area Technical College and Mid-State Technical College. Both have climbing class, but the Mid-State campus has a full-fledged arborist program with an indoor climbing lab.

They've been fortunate enough to have received a huge federal grant for equipment, allowing them to get plenty of modern climbing equipment, a chipper, computers, the fanciest indoor tree climbing setup I've ever seen, and more. In addition, their instructors are noted in the field and have strong educational/teaching credentials. If you're interested, it's a two year program in Wisconsin Rapids.

The Milwaukee campus has an arboriculture track in their horticulture program, again, with a great instructor. If you're thinking horticulture and arboriculture in two years = great program.

If you're thinking about a four year program, you can complete the two year degree at Mid-State and get a bachelor's degree in two more years at UW-Stevens Point (where I went to school). For the best, IMO, go to UW-Stevens Point from the beginning and take the climbing classes at Mid-State (which is what I did. :D).

The Care of Trees is closely involved with the programs at Mid-State and UW-Stevens Point, so I'm not surprised that you heard about them from the person you talked to. In fact, I bet I know who you talked to about it. :angel:

One final note - the UW-Madison campus has a forestry program, but you won't learn about arboriculture or urban forestry since it's not nearly as applied and is far more research focused. If you decide that's what you want to get into, I would pursue it on the graduate level. If you want to pursue forestry in an applied sense on the graduate level, look at the University of Minnesota-St. Paul for a great program or something like Purdue if you're more interested in the landscape architecture side. There's a lot of options, and don't limit yourself to North America. I visted schools in Germany before I settled on the program that I'm at now. It ended up being in my backyard, but hey, sometimes you don't have to look far. Sometimes you find more looking than you do finding. ;)

Looks like it has all been said. Stay alert, stay alive. practice, ask questions, climb safe. Start at the bottom and watch those around you.

I'm fairly young myself, and I know where you're coming from. In my opinion, tree-work is really a job where you need to start at the bottom and work your way up. In my case the best training I got was becoming good friends with a climber when I was groundie. I let him know why I was there and that I wanted to be a climber, and he taught me a lot. I've got a ton of books, a bunch of the ISA videos and such. They are all very helpful, but being in the field and getting the experience is a must. You get a lot of great ideas with books, videos, and such - but the hands on is what you need. Looks like you've made a good move in finding this site. I don't post much, but if I need any help the search function will almost always lead me in the right direction. I did go to college, but got a degree in automotive technology, not horticulture. I thought about changing a few years into it, but was more interested in getting out of there. I think you are doing good to go for hort. Anyway, just get out there with the best company you can find. Let them know your intentions from the begining, and good luck

Horticulture!!!!!

What about a degree in Urban Forestry?

Forget about Wisconsin, come to good old Penn State.

I wouldn't be a very good alumni if I didn't put in a plug for Bob Underwood's Arboriculture program offered at Minot State University's Bottineau Campus. Some of his classes are also offered online, so you could probably start off easy from your current location and work your way into the program.

As a sidenote, even though I would never trade my 4 year BSc for anything, I still believe that my time spent at MSU-Bottineau is what funnel my energy and got me to where I am today. (And just incase any of you are wondering......no, I'm not a paid spokesman of Bob's!) :p

NewKid said:
he mentioned they had been working with a school in Wisconsin to include climbing and arborist specific training in their prog. Do you know where that is?

Michael
I forgot to mention, but I'm going up there for a career fair. Let me know if want a ride from Milwaukee. E-mail me by clicking my user name.
<===

Back