Asplundh Chipper Anvil ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCARMAN

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok guys, so I ended up buying the chipper I asked you all about. I have done a bunch of work to it and have gotten it running pretty darn good. ropensaddle thought it was a chipmunk. I used it for about 3 hours the other day and it ran great. Now that it is running good I pulled out the anvil to check it over and it was VERY worn on the one edge. My question is, the way it was in there to me seems backwards, shouldn't the replacable part of the anvil be facing the knives(feed side of the chipper). With it the anvil facing the chute the only support it has is the 2 bolts holding it to the plate. I put it back in the way it came out, but I wanted to check with a group of people that would know the answer B-4 I ran it. I hope this all made sense to sombody. thanks for the help.

is it chipping the branches up small? it should be kinda close to the blades. good luck with the chipper it should last you a long time. chuck n duck chippers are die hard.

It seemed to chip good, never really being around one it seemed ok. The small green stuff it bent up more than it 'chipped' so I figured it needed adjusted. It had about .200" clearace so I know it was needing adjusting. It just seems to me that you would want the support of the blade below and behind the anvil, not ahead of it.

It seemed to chip good, never really being around one it seemed ok. The small green stuff it bent up more than it 'chipped' so I figured it needed adjusted. It had about .200" clearace so I know it was needing adjusting. It just seems to me that you would want the support of the blade below and behind the anvil, not ahead of it.

I am not sure what you mean the knives grab the wood
and pull it into the cutter bar and bites it sort of!
It should have two large bolts under chute and two
bolts with jam nuts under the rotor housing those
adjust the height of bar, and then tighten the big ones
and tighten jam nuts! Yes if its the four cylinder they
were called chipmonk's and six was whisper chippers!

Last edited:
I didn't think I did a very good job of explaining it. You are correct about the adj. bolts and jam nuts under the blade. The blade has a replacable wear bar in it I don't know if it is supposed to face the in-feed or the chip chute.
It bolts a spot in the blade that amounts to about2/3rds of the thickness of the blade that has been machined out, kindof looks like an L. I'll take it back out and take some pics to help

Last edited:
I didn't think I did a very good job of explaining it. You are correct about the adj. bolts and jam nuts under the blade. The blade has a replacable wear bar in it I don't know if it is supposed to face the in-feed or the chip chute.
It bolts a spot in the blade that amounts to about2/3rds of the thickness of the blade that has been machined out, kindof looks like an L. I'll take it back out and take some pics to help

The good edge should be toward incoming brush
facing feed table!Look carefully the replaceable bar
has four edges that can be used before replacing it!
It sounds like it was in bass akwards but it must
be in where the brush wood etc. hits the replaceable
hardened four edged bar that fits in the L anvil if I am
making sense to you.

Last edited:
OK, That is the answer I was eexpecting and it makes perfect sense! I was pretty sure that was how it SHOULD be in there. I did check out the wear bar and 1 edge was new, 2 were slightly worn, and the one that was bein' used had about a 1/4 inch radius(very worn).I have been an industrial mech. and an auto mech. and I couldn't for the life of me why it was in there the way it was. It has been raining here now for 3 days straight so I have been workin' on some of the not so important things on it. (can't farm in the rain!)

Now, one more Q, are the drum bearings sealed or oil filled? I cant find any grease zerks for them.

Man isn't it great to be able to go somewhere and talk or ask questions and people enjoy the same stuff!!! Its GREAT!!!

Thanks a million!!

Last edited:
You were right about turning the anvil, it was in backwards. Set clearance from the blades to a hacksaw blade thickness, .030" or 1/32", making sure all the knives are adjusted out to the same distance.
The older machines had oil filled bearings with a breather on top and a level plug about half way down, at centre line of the rotor. Fill to correct level with 90 weight gear oil.

Knive clearance

I went thru the same issue's you are and found out that the clearance for the anvil to blade is .032! Very tight, but that is the what the manual says. Make sure everything is VERY tight after adjusting.

Hey, thanks guys. I have the knives set to about .030". I have been in the field for the last couple of weeks so I haven't had a chance to use it. Ido greatly appriciate the info. Thanks again!

good luck when you finally get to use it. it will make a nicechipper for you and should last a long time . they are die hard

Good afternoon. I know this tread is super old but i just bought an old asplundh drum chipper/. I believe in the 1975 range but i could be wrong. So i am in process of rebuilding it and had anvil questions. The old anvil was worn out so i got a new one. As i did not pull off the anvil, i am unsure on how to reinstall. The new(and the old) anvil have recessed holes machined into it. Does anything go into the holes or is it an alignment thing? and i also have to huge bolts that go into the side where anvil sits and two on the bottom with lock nuts which seem to be for anvil height adjustment. None of the side bolts or bottom bolts will fit into the anvil holes as they are too big. in addition, the side bolts do not seem to have anything from i can see to thread into? can anyone tell me the correct way to install and what goes where? Maybe an IPL possibly would certainly help. thanks

Back