Asplundh Whisper engine cover/radiator?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ouch_that_hertz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
For a 1968 Whisper chipper (Ford I6-300) I recently acquired (wife grimacing all the way!), I need a radiator and the engine cowling that covers the radiator-end of the engine.

It's currently running OK with a larger Chevy radiator, baling-wire, and some glue - but it's sure not pretty.

Any ideas where to find bits of sheet metal for this? I can probably find some kind of radiator to fit inside it. I'd rather not have to make up a cover from scratch.

Thanks!

I'm inclined to think that building a cover form scratch might be the easiest route. A bit of sheet metal, a little rabbit wire ,a few cuts and bends and you are ready for paint.

Generally the engine cover isn't specific to the chipper but rather the engine manufacturer. Call up ford and get their industrial motor division, perhaps they can help or give Schmidy's Machinery a call, there was dozens of basket case asplundh chippers down the road from them, I imagine thatthey were theirs. (217)935-2244

good ideas

Thank you gentlemen for taking the time to comment.

In making a cover, I realized that I could replace the whole cover with something "square-ish" not needing fancy curves. A frame of 1x1 angle would suffice, with appropriate square-cut sheets tacked on.

I'll give that number a call... maybe a junker is out there waiting for me :cool:.

UPDATE: I checked with Schmidy's. They apparently DO NOT sell parts of any kind. Maybe if I were driving by, in person, it might be diffferent, but Mr. Schmid was pretty crystal clear on this point. Gotta warm up the chop-saw...

Last edited:
Lots of parts out there.

There are lots of engines, parts, cowlings, radiators and what not out there.
But you want to look under Altec or Ford 300 ci strait six. They have been having their old Asplundh chippers stripped of there rotors. They then build a new chipper around the old rotors. This leaves all the rest of the chipper out there for parts, and I mean thousands of units. So keep looking, somebody has a lot of old Ford 300's complete with cowling and clutch.

Something off an older field tractor might work, it would have all the screen, sheilds and cowlings , and the housing inplace. And built for the vibration.

Last raidator I 'made work' I needed to make a few insolators and found that carving them out of old tires made some better then factory mounts.

Sounds like a fun project, any direction you go!

Cowling...

Yep - the radiator on there has some isolators made from sections of radiator hose.

Not having seen one in person - I would have to guess that a V8 cowling would be a bit wider than an I6 version, or does the V8 just stick out the sides?

I have the front complete with a brand new radiator and isolation mounts. I might still have the hood. I will need to look to see just what I have left . It came off the four cylinder and might be smaller, I don't know for sure. I can send pics if you want to see what I have.

Whisper tins...

Hi,

Great. If you have a pic, please feel free to post (or can it be emailed through here?). I'll take a measurement tomorrow to see how wide/tall mine is, to get an idea whether the 4cyl version would fit.

Also, the V8 version might work. As soon as I get some basic dimensions I'll post them.

Thanks!

Radiator

This is what I have. It sat down in the frame and the fender fit into the corner. I have the fender but I don't e the rest.

Back