Assemble or Part Out 084?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2stroker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a complete disassembled 084.
Is it worth more in parts, Tanks, P&C, Muffler, Buffers, Chain Cover, chain Brake, Clutch, Drum,ect., or sold as a running saw?
It will pretty good looking but not a shelf queen. I have a shelf queen and an 088,880,2- 3120's so I don't "need" another big saw.
I think I know the answer, but I'd have a hard time parting such a great beast out.
Thoughts, please.
2stroker

If he has a complete saw in parts and that saw would be a runner if assembled, he'll get far more than $600 for parting it out.

I just added up the list of parts and considered the highest current eBay prices. Give or take a hundred bucks, but not far more at all.

I just added up the list of parts and considered the highest current eBay prices. Give or take a hundred bucks, but not far more at all.

Great .. wonderful .. super.

All I know is that I had an 18x18x18 box of mixed (used and NOS) parts ..... and got over $3k for them on eBay.

Totally used parts for a running saw? ... easily over $1,000

IMHO, a collection of parts will always collect more money than a runner. .

Just a good used muffler will still bring $200 plus shipping. I remember a NOS muffler going for $334 plus shipping. Cylinders average between $100-175 depending on condition. Ted's (Warped5) NOS cylinder covers were easily going for $100.

I put a fully rebuilt minty case and crank up three years ago (new OEM bearings, seals, and gaskets) and it ended at $360 pus shipping.

Well a few argumentative opinions and the going price of "used" parts seem to differ a bit.
The subject is about used parts, not nos or minty parts. If y'all have another opinion that differs from mine then don't waste your time replying to me with an argument, just add your two cents to the thread and move on with it. I'm not here to argue with knuckleheads that just want to argue.

Sell it how you se fit. Invest in parts to make it a runner if you have the time and funds. But a quick flip as a assembled parts saw is still a easy sale. Who out there wants a big saw. Just about everyone.

Well a few argumentative opinions and the going price of "used" parts seem to differ a bit.
The subject is about used parts, not nos or minty parts. If y'all have another opinion that differs from mine then don't waste your time replying to me with an argument, just add your two cents to the thread and move on with it. I'm not here to argue with knuckleheads that just want to argue.

I guess we're all just a bunch of knuckleheads...

I agree that if the goal is to net the most profit then parting it is the best solution. Almost every saw I sell I could get more by parting but I build saws as a sport/hobby and parting saws is a lot of work and not enjoyable for me. I had a pile of Stihl 020t/MS200T parts I could have built up into one or two saws but they didn't interest me so I parted them out and was amazed at how much I netted. I had offered them on this site as a "lot" for one money and people indicated my price was way to high. I got more than double that on eBay... just saying.

Thanks for all your posts.
Guessed I've changed my way of thinking.
If I part it out, it could keep 5,6 or even a dozen saws running. That would be cool.
I even got a PM wondering what I'm going to do.lol.
Thanks,
2stroker

Back