attaching both front rings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that another thing this war between steel and aluminum, i would think high quality aluminum would be fine for climbing, i think i would break before any of my gear. and the weight everything from a friction saver to all carabiner even a pulley that is connected in series into the climbing line that not even counting ascended and descenders. i know most fire rescue uses steel because they are dealing with duel body weight

Fire crews are held to a 15:1 safety ratio by the NFPA standard 1983. They go on weight rating, not material. A one-person load according to the standard is 300 lbs, 15:1 = 9000lbs for a two person load of 600 lbs. Most biners for heavy use not general use are rated around 12000lbs.

Another thing, Fire service does not require double locking biners. I have seen fire service biners come unlocked and fall off of my harness while climbing. Luckily it was a spare I had no weight on. Last time I used a biner that wasn't double locking. Scary to watch the biner fall from my harness right out of the tree.

that why i started the post cause split tail with ring apart, is the way i was taught to climb i was just wondering if it safe to connect ring together with one biner which i think i got my answer thanks great site

How is that snaphook "grossly" unsafe in that position. It looks like a double locking 6000# tensile snaphook which are ANSI approved for life support

this guy is right, what you see in the pic is safe for life support. You can use a snaphook like in the pic.

this guy is right, what you see in the pic is safe for life support. You can use a snaphook like in the pic.

Welcome aboard L.

I did not say that snaphooks were unsafe, but rather, that they are unsafe for use as a lifeline termination in a work position harness. My reasons are stated above but if you prefer the opinion of an authorised body feel free to check out Z133. I cannot lay my hands a copy at the moment but from memory the minimum requirement is for a device with 3 distinct actions prior to opening. Snaphooks only have two and one of those is in no way "distinct" from the action of opening the gate.

You are welcome to climb anyway you choose as is everyone else. If you ask what is safe or meets industry standards that is a different matter. :cheers:

Back